Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wordplay    If your last name were...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If your last name were... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
When I was a kid we used to play the following game: If your first name were _____, would you name your kid ______?

That game came to mind recently when I met someone named Merry Gay.

How about some more?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The Lee siblings .... Ora Lee, Ayna Lee. and their brother Manual Lee.

Oh, and their cousin Justin Case.

..... And Rosie Palm's son, Harry.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
When I was a kid we used to play the following game: If your first name were _____, would you name your kid ______?

Why would someone's first name even come into bearing on what they named their kid?? Wouldn't a strange LAST name be the thing that makes their choice for their kid's first name funny or not?

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I had a client whose name was Christmas. When he first made a booking with me for himself and his wife I asked him for his wife's name and I had some trouble keeping s straight face when he told me. She was called Mary.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TrossL:

Why would someone's first name even come into bearing on what they named their kid??

Just a cultural peculiarity of English. Many cultures list the "first" name as the family name.

I've mentioned before that I once knew Harry Cox. I've long suspected that playful Richard Alpert chose the name, "Ram Dass" so it could be punctuated, "Ram D'Ass."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid we had neighbors whose 4 children were named Larry, Terry, Barry and Vicki. We heard that they had 2 more after they moved to Florida, and used to joke that they named them Sticky and Icky.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
The family name of a childhood classmate of mine was BOOE.

Someone recently fantasized that his sister's name might have been "Peeka," and that she worked in the Intensive Care Unit

Ring RRRING "Peeka Booe, ICU ..."

((( This comes to you from the Far-Fetched Dep't. )))

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post