Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Is viola the new chaise lounge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is viola the new chaise lounge? Login/Join

posted
I've started to keep track of the number of times I've seen voila spelled properly or improperly. So far the stats are running about 5:1 in favor of 'viola', although I've also seen "wallah".

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
But, it's fun to mispronounce it as vay-oh-lah.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's a fun word. I'd use it more if I felt more confident about my pronunciation of French words. I just have the worst time pronouncing anything in French.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I sometimes say (jokingly!) VOY-la! (It more or less rhymes with 'boiler'.)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arnie, back in the mid-80s, I worked with a very witty wordsmithing fellow (employed as a court reporter) who also (jokingly) said, "VOY-la!" I've never heard of anyone else saying that...till now. Smile

Picture of H.H
posted Hide Post
quote:
although I've also seen "wallah".

Walla/wallah is a word in Arabic, also used as Hebrew slang. Its meaning is quite complicated, but may be conveyed as 'I understand'.
It is even the name of a popular israeli portal, based on the idea of "Yahoo".
Maybe this was the reason of the peculiar spelling.

Posts: 14 | Location: Jerusalem, IsraelReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Wallah is also an Anglo-Indian word meaning something like fellow or person who. For example, a chai-wallah is a fellow who brings the tea. It's also half a city name in Washington state. Usually pronounced /'val@/ by Indians and /'wal@/ by Anglos.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've started to keep track of the number of times I've seen voila spelled properly or improperly. So far the stats are running about 5:1 in favor of 'viola',

It just show how many people are on the fiddle :-)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of either the Arabic or Anglo-Indian wallah; the wallah I saw (in documentation for simulation software written by engineers in Houston) clearly meant "there it is!" and not "I understand" or some dude.

Richard, what does "on the fiddle" mean?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheating or in some other way misappropriating another's property without physically stealing it.

So, "fiddling one's expenses" would mean being "creative" about how much one spent and claimed.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
So far the stats are running about 5:1 in favor of 'viola',

Thanks for clearing this up! I thought folks who wrote "Viola" were talking about some woman magician.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cheating or in some other way misappropriating another's property without physically stealing it. So, "fiddling one's expenses" would mean being "creative" about how much one spent and claimed.
Gives new meaning to the old limerick,
    There once was a man with a hernia,
    Who said to his doctor, "Gol dern'ya,
    When fixing my middle
    Be sure you don't fiddle
    With matters that do not concern'ya.
(Sorry for the interruption. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
The fiddle thing is very interesting - I'd not heard "on the fiddle" before. I have heard (and used) the phrase "fit as a fiddle" . . . and ready to fly!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post