Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    peeve, the etymology
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

peeve, the etymology Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
The other thread got me to wondering about the etymology of peeve. It's a back-formation from peevish < Middle English peivish (MED). All sources offered the dread unknown, but offered a perhaps from Latin perversus. I found that fitting: Latin perversus 'awkward, askew' is the past passive participle of perverto, pervertere, 'to turn around or about; overthrow, subvert'. So, peevologists, in their perversity, are trying to overthrow and subvert the language. (Hey, if the etymological fallacy works for decimate and unique, why not for other Latin words?)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I see the ME version of peevish meant "Perverse, wayward, willful, capricious", which is a slight change from the current most common meaning of "mildly irratated".

Even then the peevish types were egregious. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, z. I have to say...I love the word peevologist for a true prescriptivist.

Do we have one for a true descriptivist?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Do we have one for a true descriptivist?

Normal, sane, or rationale? For the peevologist straw-man version of a descriptivist there are some terms, my favorite of which is laxicographer.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am trying to figure out what you mean by the "peevologist straw-man version of a descriptivist." I do like "laxicographer, though. Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I am trying to figure out what you mean by the "peevologist straw-man version of a descriptivist."

For instance some peevologists argue that descriptive linguists think anything goes in terms of language; that if someone says it, it's automatically correct. This is a straw man argument. I don't know anyone who actually holds this view (altho they might exist, they don't write books, blogs or newspaper columns).