Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Life-limited
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life-limited Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I came just across a euphemism for "dying" that I can't remember hearing before.

At an Underground station someone announced on the PA system that there were charity collectors on the station soliciting funds for a hospice for "life-limited children".

Logically, I suppose, everybody is "life-limited" as we all die eventually, just some will die sooner than others..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of it either, arnie. I looked the phrase up online and mostly "life-limited" things come up, but not people.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a new one to me also. Sounds like biological planned obsolescence. I guess it beats calling them short-timers.

There's a common, but different use of "limited:" Want to sell a zillion of something? Call it a Limited Edition. Get yours now while supplies last.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
A lot of trains were called 'limiteds" Usually express service with few stops. The ones I used often just slowed down enough for you to jump off onto the platform.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And of course there is "time-limited."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post