Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inadvertent error Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
We all know by now that Scott Thompson's resignation from Yahoo came from an "inadvertent error" in that he lied on his resume about having a computer degree. So, is there an "advertent" error?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably so. After all, I'm occasionally inadvertently correct. Roll Eyes

PS: Who's this Scott Tompson guy? I really haven't a clue!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, it's in the link. However, he was the Yahoo CEO (for 5 months) who lied that he had a computer science degree. It was quite easily found out as his university didn't even offer that degree when he was there. I couldn't understand why he'd lie about it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
He seems to have redefined "inadvertent error" to mean "lie". His "inadvertent error" was in getting found out.

I can't see that there can really be an "advertent error". An error is a mistake; if someone makes an error on purpose it can't really be called an error.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
You would have thought the folks at Yahoo! would have been smart enough to check his credentials before hiring him.

As for his inadvertent error, I would think it actually was advertent.

(Oops! I inadvertently claimed a Ph.D. in biophysics from M.I.T.--Sorry!)

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post