Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ramrodded Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Avoidi g the political aspects of his actions, Paul Ryan entered a soup kitchen one night with a camera crew who filmed his washing what some said were clean dishes. The kitchen's director complained that Ryan hadn't been invited but "ramrodded" his way in past a volunteer.

The term was picked up by the media, none of whom seemed uncomfortable using it. However, I think the proper and more accurate term was "steamrollered". Any (non-political) judgments?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both words imply using a good deal of force. I think ramrodded is probably the better of the two words to use here, since it doesn't imply as much force as steamrolled. Either word, I think, is probably an exaggeration; I doubt that any great force was used. Perhaps "pushed his way in past a volunteer" would have been a better choice of words, though not as sensationalized.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought of "ramrodded" as vigorously leading a group, or stirring it to action, and not necessarily with evil intent.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wordnik gives two definitions of ramrod used as a verb: "To exert strict control over; supervise closely." and "To force passage or acceptance of: a group that ramrodded the bill through Congress." Neither of those definitions fits the context.

I'm with Proof: "steamrollered" would be better.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wordnik also gives three definitions of steamroller used as a verb:
quote:
v. To smooth or level (a road) with a steamroller.
v. To overwhelm or suppress ruthlessly; crush.
v. To move or proceed with overwhelming or crushing force.

None of those definitions fits either. That's why I suggested a less forceful verb be used, such as pushed, shoved, or even forced.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'd've gone with forced. I agree with tinman that "steamrollered" doesn't quite fit but I don't feel that "ramrodded" does either.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not, "shoved his way in past a volunteer?" Forget steamrollers and ramrods, cheeky, thoughtless pushiness is what it is.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yet, we all know what was meant, correct?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, we all knew that he forced himself in, but we really don't know how much force was used. I doubt a lot of force was used, which ramrodded implies. I suspect the reporter chose that word to sensationalize it. We do love to exaggerate and sensationalize things.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think, however, this discussion is similar to one in the times smaller thread. As in that thread, you know what is meant, so why the big deal?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
How about bullied his way in?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Bullied" implies threat; he was probably not threatening, just thoughtless, IMHO.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I suspect the reporter chose that word to sensationalize it.

That was the quote from the kitchen's director, as reported. I think ramrodded has the implication of authority over another, which the crew did not have. Rather than bullied, perhaps bulled?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
"Bullied" implies threatening to me, Geoff.

posted Hide Post
Reread my post, Kalleh; we agree.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah...sorry about that. I do think "bullying" implies a threat, though not everyone does. "Ramrodding" is a direct threat.

posted Hide Post
Depends on the receptivity of the ewe the ram is rodding, no? Roll Eyes