Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Word Games    Misophonia Daffynitions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Misophonia Daffynitions Login/Join

posted
You will notice that there are, for the most part, two train of thoughts here. I think that these are really quite good! In this game, I ask that you give two answers. The first answer is for the answer that you think is the most correct. Two is to pick the answer that you enjoyed the most.

Misophonia is:

1. The "Telephone Game."

2. Disharmony

3. A psychological phenomenon where people can only speak negatively about everything.

4. A strong aversion to noise.

5. Slurping eating soup noisily in a Japanese household, considered to be a compliment to the hostess.

6. A condition in which certain sounds, often mouth sounds, cause a strong negative reaction in someone.

7. Ordering Japanese soup.

8. Speaking evil of someone.

9. Disorder, sometimes known informally as "aural dyslexia", in which people are unable to distinguish between certain sounds.

10. Compositional technique in which two sections of the orchestra are given separate keys and time signatures.

11. What’s been described as an almost human-like sound that miso makes when you lift off the lid after at least three months of fermentation.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'll take 4 as right and 3 as my favourite.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I choose #10 as the real one, and #6 as my favourite.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think #4 is the real one and #10 is Hab's effort to lead us down Melody Lane the wrong way. But then it may be the right way.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'll try #9 as the correct one. I think #5 is hilarious!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, me.

I'm going to have to take a stab at this one by induction, not by knowledge.

All-but-one of these daffynitions share one of two common themes: miso soup and other noises, and unpleasantness, conflict, or some kind of "mis"-treatment.

So I'm going to reject them all.

That leaves #10, the only one that wasn't seduced by one of the two concepts above. I'll have to shrug my shoulders and declare 10 the real definition by default.

Favorite? 5 made me smile most, and 9 sounds the most like a "real" dictionary definition.

Now - will the real misophone please stand up?!

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will try to post the answers sometime tonight. I left a clue in the first post in this thread.

posted Hide Post
That might be too much of a hint...

posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for playing and having such good daffynitions! The hint was the word "most". There was a definition by someone who could be accepted as the right answer.

Misophonia is:

1. The "Telephone Game." -Bethree5 No votes

2. Disharmony -Bethree5 No votes

3. A psychological phenomenon where people can only speak negatively about everything. -Kalleh One vote for favorite daffynition by BobHale.

4. A strong aversion to noise. -Haberdasher 2 votes from BobHale and Geoff

5. Slurping eating soup noisily in a Japanese household, considered to be a compliment to the hostess. -Haberdasher Not only did he write this, but he said it made him smile. Bethree5 thought it was hilarious.

6. A condition in which certain sounds, often mouth sounds, cause a strong negative reaction in someone. Correct. No votes for correct, but one by Kalleh for favorite. I took the definition used by Cambridge and added a little from where I first heard about misophonia on NPR. Just for the record, the literal translation is a hatred of noise, but that really doesn't cover it, especially, as they learn more about it. Haberdasher's number 4. could have been considered correct. This is why I said "most correct" when I posted the definitions at the top of the page.

7. Ordering Japanese soup. -Geoff No votes

8. Speaking evil of someone. -Geoff No votes

9. Disorder, sometimes known informally as "aural dyslexia", in which people are unable to distinguish between certain sounds. -BobHale One vote from Bethree5

10. Compositional technique in which two sections of the orchestra are given separate keys and time signatures. -BobHale Two votes from Kalleh and Haberdasher. Geoff thought this was Hab, and picked this one as his favorite.

11. What’s been described as an almost human-like sound that miso makes when you lift off the lid after at least three months of fermentation. -sattva No votes.

I hope I didn't forget anything. I am not sure if we can declare a winner. It would have to be either Haberdasher or BobHale. Haberdasher's #4 could be considered correct, and he received two votes for correct on that one, plus, a favorite by Bethree5 for definition #5. BobHale received 3 correct votes, one for #9 and two for #10, plus a favorite from Geoff. So, you two boys can duke it out. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sattva,

posted Hide Post
Fooey! I thought the term was hyperacusis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis
I suffer from them both, I guess. I had to leave a local Audubon Society meeting last night because the screeching of a child seated next to me was like needles through my ears. *&&@!#@_!& brats!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Very pleased that mine did so well. I knew the roots of the word so I knew it must have to do with a hatred of sound but chose the wrong one of the possible answers. Frown

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Fooey! I thought the term was hyperacusis https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis
I suffer from them both, I guess. I had to leave a local Audubon Society meeting last night because the screeching of a child seated next to me was like needles through my ears. *&&@!#@_!& brats!

Audiograms I have seen include both the threshold for perceiving the various frequencies and also a “Loudness Discomfort Level.”