Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Word Games    Body parts all over the place!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Body parts all over the place! Login/Join

posted
Aha! Subject line caught your eye, did it?

A short while ago I needed a pair of rhyming body parts for a limerick I was writing and was temporarily stumped. There really aren't that many out there. I did come up with a suitable pair, but then I got to pondering: are there others? I did come up with a few, but I thought this might make for a fun challenge.

The Rules:

1. Identity rhymes are out, so "carpals/metacarpals" is a no go.

2. Convoluted entries, such as "spine/vertebra #9," may be appreciated for their imagination, but won't count towards anyone's total.

3. Slang terms are acceptable.

4. That's about it.

I came up with 7 rhyming pairs plus 2 triplets of 3 rhyming body parts each. A hint, in one of the triplets, two of the body parts are slang terms and the third could be considered one as well.

If you'd care to add another level to this challenge, I'm going to post this on the OEDILF forum as well.

Ready... Set... (pistol shot) GO!

posted Hide Post
Whoa! Just posted this 20 minutes ago and rhyming pair #8 just occurred to me. One term is slang and is not flattering.

posted Hide Post
Here several pairs (or is it several-plus-one? You be the judge)

nose - toes
chest breast
hair - pair (for women, and there's a different pair for men)
lung - tongue
tail - nail
thumb - bum
wrist - fist

You didn't specify the body had to be human, so there's also
beak - cheek
comb - dome

And is patholog permitted?
callus - phallus

(It's too nice a day to be sitting indoors - I think a little more later)

Posts: 6266 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
With the usual caveats about what may rhyme for one etc...

eye-thigh
ear-rear
brain-vein
pharynx/larynx

lets not forget the crude waxing term back, sack and crack

shin-skin
biceps-triceps
palm-arm
hands-glands

there are lots if you count muscle names eg. frontalis/orbicularis or nerves trochlear/cochlear.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
hair - pair (for women, and there's a different pair for men)

Kidneys? Cerebral hemispheres? Feet? Is this a bilateral symmetry test?

Oh, I undersat (That's a synonym for misunderstood) You mean like glans and islets of Langerhans?

Islets of Langerhans can be sung to the tune of "La Donna È Mobile" for all you musically inclined medical sorts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Response to this silly question has been much greater than I would have predicted. I'm going to close it out in a couple of days before compiling the final stats turns into too much of a chore.

posted Hide Post
quote:
ear-rear

Do we allow secretions? Or they no longer part of the body, therefore disqualified?

ear - rear - tear (boo-hoo)

(P.S. A woman's bosom is sometimes coarsely called a pair.
Ditto a man's testicles.
Among other names, for both.
You may laugh, not because you want to, but because you have to...)

posted Hide Post
Sorry to be somewhat vague, but while I'm not exactly sure where we should draw the line, wherever it is "tear" is on the other side of it.

posted Hide Post
Well, how about lacrimal glands and hands?

posted Hide Post
OK, I'm going to close out this question/contest and throw up my hands in defeat as far as grading the results or picking a winner is concerned. I've spent the last hour or so trying to compile the results into some sort of easily read order and I'm not even through with a quarter of the input.

Besides my own answers, I received input from six individuals. The total input is as follows with comments from me, if needed (read: "if I felt like it"), enclosed between double asterisks **like this**. Triplets and quads are marked with a "+++" or a "++++" to the left of the entry.

----BobHale----

1. eye-thigh
2. ear-rear
3. brain-vein
4. pharynx/larynx

5. let's not forget the crude waxing term back, sack and crack

6. shin-skin
7. biceps-triceps
8. palm-arm **works in the UK (and China, I suppose?), though not in the US**
9. hands-glands

there are lots if you count muscle names eg. frontalis/orbicularis or nerves trochlear/cochlear.

----CJS----

I ended up with just 10 or 12 entries, but then misplaced my list. Most of my entries were well-covered elsewhere (eye/thigh, nose/toes, chin/shin/skin etc.) but there was one that no one else came up with:

1. testicles/breasticles (vulgar slang for low-hanging breasts)

----GalFisk----

I didn't bother with the pairs, but I got some triplets, and a quadruplet:

+++1. Rump/Stump/Lump (do amputee body parts count? Lump=breast) **"stump" and "lump" would be highly debatable, but "rump" works fine.**
+++2. Fist/Cyst/Wrist (do cysts count?) **Same comment as with your "rump/stump/lump" entry.**
+++3. Guts/Nuts/Butts
+++4. Glans/Cans/Hands (for a certain pronunciation of "hands") **US pronunciation of "HANZ" puts this one over.**
+++5.Hip/Lip/Tip
+++6.Brain/Vein/Mane
+++7. Skin/Shin/Chin
++++8. Tit/Mitt/Pit/Clit

----Geoff----

1. lacrimal glands and hands

----haberdasher---

1. nose - toes
2. chest - breast
3. hair - pair (for women, and there's a different pair for men)
4. lung - tongue
5. tail - nail
6. thumb - bum
7. wrist - fist

You didn't specify the body had to be human, so there's also
8. beak - cheek
9. comb - dome

And is patholog permitted? **Is that "pathology"? Sure, why not.**
10. callus - phallus

11. (P.S. A woman's bosom is sometimes coarsely called a pair. Ditto a man's testicles. **Are you rhyming a "pair" of breasts with a "pair" of testicles? That's an identity rhyme, at best.**
Among other names, for both.
You may laugh, not because you want to, but because you have to...)

----Kevin Lucas----

1. ear/rear (slang for butt)
2. mind/behind (slang for butt)
+++3. bits/tits/pits (obvious) **"bits" isn't so obvious, but "dangly bits," British slang for male genitalia, would work.**
4. eye/thigh
5. nose/toes
6. lip/hip
7. chin/shin
+++8. thumb/gum/bum (slang for butt) **"gum" is an adjective, as in "gum disease," but "thumbs/gums/bums" would work.
9. hands/glands
10. brain/vein
11. boobs/Fallopian tubes
12. loins/groins
13. sac/back
14. labia minora/labia majora
+++15. gut/butt/nut (slang for testicle)
++++16. guts/butts/nuts/putz **That last is Yiddish for "penis" (and also slang for "fool").
17. larynx/pharynx
+++18. jaw/paw/maw (slang for mouth)
19. legs/eggs (the ova from the ovaries) **If cash prizes were involved, entries like "eggs," "cyst," etc. probably wouldn't make the cut.**
20. bones/cones (as in rods and cones)
21. patella/glabella
22. duodenum/frenum
23. spleen/bean (slang for brain)
24. blood/pud (slang for external genitals, especially a female's)
25. lung/tongue
26. feet/ meat (slang for penis)
27. penis/mound of Venus (slang for mons pubis)

28. I'm assuming one can't rhyme one body part (slang) with the same body part (slang). That's why I didn't include dick/prick. **I'd say this could be arguably acceptable if the pair were on two different guys.**

----rusty----

++++1. thumb/bum/tum **improvable to a quad if made plural with thumbs/bums/tums/gums**
+++2. chin/shin/skin (the skin is considered to be an organ, so I guess that makes it a body part. It's certainly part of the body.)
3. arm/palm (rhyme works for me, but maybe not for you)
4. hip/lip
5. sole/hole (vulgar)
6. eye/thigh
7. toes/nose (TY, KL)
8. gut/butt
9. breast/chest
10.ear/rear
11.tongue/lung
12. spleen/bean
13. cheek/beak
14. front/cunt (very vulgar, and it's a stretch to say "front" is a body part, but hey, what about "back", and "side"?)
15. side/hide (as in, "son, I'm agonna tan your hide")
++++16. mitt/clit/tit (a third triplet!) **a quad if you add "pit," submitted elsewhere**
17. kisser/pisser
18. penis/mound of Venus

If anyone were to demand I declare a winner, I would have Kevin Lucas and BobHale share the honors, the former for the 28 entries he submitted and the latter for the dozens he didn't (names of muscles, nerves, etc.) but could have.

posted Hide Post
quote:
11. (P.S. A woman's bosom is sometimes coarsely called a pair. Ditto a man's testicles. **Are you rhyming a "pair" of breasts with a "pair" of testicles? That's an identity rhyme, at best.**

No, no, "pair" rhymes with "hair, as per example 3.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Well, that was fun!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm of two minds as to whether corpus callosum rhymes with anything.

posted Hide Post
Wingardium leviosum,” maybe?