Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    The Comma Goes to Court
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Comma Goes to Court Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've always been an advocate of the Oxford comma, but our editors frown on our using it. They usually win, though this might be good evidence to convince them otherwise. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=31653

The Oxford comma doesn't always resolve ambiguity. Wikipedia gives this real example:

"By train, plane and sedan chair, Peter Ustinov retraces a journey made by Mark Twain a century ago. The highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector."

An Oxford comma in the second sentence would not resolve the ambiguity about whether the encounters involved 2 people or 3 people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd think with the Oxford comma, it would be three, but without - two. Then again, recall that I am a literalist. This seems very black or white to me, but I am sure it doesn't to others.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod, and a dildo collector."

This is ambiguous because "an 800-year-old demigod" can be interpreted as an appositive describing Mandela. Or it can be interpreted as another item in the list. Mandela is not a dildo collector, but he might still be a demigod.

posted Hide Post
Who might imagine Mandela to be 800 years old? Logic tells me that there were two people; three would be impossible - unless one were long dead.
It does suggest that there are many frustrated women somewhere along his journey.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a better example (better because we can't use real world knowledge to resolve the ambiguity)
quote:
They went to Oregon with Betty, a maid, and a cook.

Are there 2 people: a maid named Betty and a cook. Or are there 3 people.

posted Hide Post
Condisering how overpopulated Oregon has become, it must be three. However, I concede that this is a good example for general purposes.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
...an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector...

I suspect that habit accounts for his having only attained demigod status.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Or perhaps one? Betty who is both a maid and a cook.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post