Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Do you have a Blog?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have a Blog? Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
elledee - what is the link to your blog?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There was an article in the Tribune today about 2 well-known Bloggers who have recently died of heart attacks, which some have linked to "the emotional stress created by 24/7 Internet sites, the demands of filing round-the-clock blogs to keep things fresh for the insatiable readers."

So...does anyone take their Blogs this seriously?

They also wrote, "The blunt truth is that most bloggers don't have the following they imagine they do. So lighten up bloggers." Well, there will be no Blogger linked heart attacks for me because I already know that, besides a few sweet Wordcrafters who feel sorry for me, nobody reads my Blog. Wink

BTW, does anyone know who the "well-known Bloggers" were?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Cat commented on my blog that she uses hers as a way to keep track of things.

You mean CW.

I tend to leave really personal stuff off my blog (because, just, no), or if it's not too personal but I still don't want strangers reading it (such as talking about the area in which I live), I'll filter my posts so only certain people can read them. Most of my posts are friends-locked anyway, and I generally only friend people I actually know.

Posts: 669 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'm confused. If you don't want people reading about your experiences, why write about them in a blog? I confess that this whole online social networking has rather passed me by - and the more I read about it the less I regret its passing.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cat:
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Cat commented on my blog that she uses hers as a way to keep track of things.

You mean CW.

A momentary lapse caused by the fat that CW shows up labelled as "cat" on my e-mails which is where I first read her comment.

I'll try not to do it again but it's great to see "the real cat" here again.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's great to see "the real cat" here again.

I agree!

*waves spastically at her twin across the pond*

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, too! Welcome back, "real Cat!"

posted Hide Post
Caterwauller - here is the link to my blog: http://www.nurseconnect.com/Community/BlogPosts.aspx?BlogId=568&uid=22200

Since I write it for a nursing site, I get some readers based on the site's advertising. I am always happy to get a response since it feels like less of a cyberspace monolog.

Posts: 52 | Location: Raleigh, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi again all, and thanks for the welcome Smile. I do lurk from time to time but my PC time has become far more limited of late, so I don't come here too often or I'd be tempted to stay online too long!

RE, I didn't say I didn't want people to read about my more personal experiences, I said I didn't want strangers doing so. If I'm just ranting, or talking about something more abstract, or funny, or whatever, I'll usually leave the post public. Mostly though, my blog is a way of keeping in touch with my friends and telling each other what we've been up to. It saves having the same phone conversation ten times with different people, or sending a mass e-mail out (bear in mind that some of my friends live miles away, so face-to-face interaction is rarer, and even with my local friends I rarely see more than five at a time).

To me, blogging, with the ability of others to comment, read and respond to each others' comments, feels more communal and less mechanic than mass e-mailing. I even made a great new (and local) friend because we both commented on a mutual friend's blog and struck up a conversation! He's one of my closest friends now Smile.

Of course it's no substitute for face-to-face interaction, but most of us use it to enhance our real-life relationships, not as a substitute for them. I wouldn't be without it Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
RE, I didn't say I didn't want people to read about my more personal experiences, I said I didn't want strangers doing so.

But isn't the whole thing about blogs that everyone can read them? It's a bit like getting a letter published in a newspaper; once it's in print it belongs to the world.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
But isn't the whole thing about blogs that everyone can read them?

To some people, yes, but not all of us feel that need (not that it's a bad thing for those who do!). Some of us just want to keep in touch with our friends, and have found a good way of doing that, while keeping it open enough to potentially make new ones.

posted Hide Post
Forgive my ignorance. But if I start a blog is it not open to anyone who finds it? So, whereas I might only tell my friends about it, others can and will find it and can read what they will. Do I have that right?

As I said, a bit like an open letter - readable by anyone who sees it.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
You could have a blog that is part of the dark net: i.e., that vast region of the Internet which is behind corporate (or otherwise) firewalls. On at least one social networking site that I know of, you can set an attribute to make your blog (or individual entries) visible only to friends (i.e., people you have granted that status to).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Cat, would you be comfortable posting a link to your Blog here? I'd love to read it from time to time...the public posts of course.

posted Hide Post
Yes, of course, Kalleh - it's http://etoile-violet.livejournal.com/

If you create an LJ of your own, I'll add you as a friend so you can see all my posts - you can also comment on my posts then if you like. You don't have to use it as a blog yourself, you'll just need to log in to be able to access my friends-locked posts. If you're interested, I'll send you an invitation.

RE, as zmj said, some sites allow you to hide certain posts, and LJ is one of them. A lot of my posts are locked so that only my LJ friends (people with LJ accounts who I've added as friends) can see them. Kind of like the photo posts on Wordcraft only being available to members, only I get to choose who's a 'member' of my friends list.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was as clueless as Richard about Blogs. I had always thought everyone wanted their Blogs to be read. That's interesting; it reminds me of Facebook.

posted Hide Post
Facebook? FACEBOOK?!? Ugh, no - LiveJournal pre-dates Facebook (and MySpace) by several years. I can't abide Facebook - it's a bit like an LJ for people without the imagination to come up with their own stuff, lol. I also know several people who've deleted their Facebook profiles after getting fed up of the inanity of it - and certain privacy issues.

I'll stick with LJ, and just hope that enough of my friends do too Smile.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, I see.

I have a Blog question. Is there a better way to post Web sites than to just copy and paste them from the browser? For example, is there something similar to Wordcraft's links? My links tend to go on forever, and that doesn't seem to be the case with other Blogs.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
USe the mouse to highlight a bit of text in your post.

Click the paperclip icon

paste the URL into the box that opens up

click OK

Voila!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
The name of this thread makes me think of Eddie Izzard...

Do you have a flag?

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So, TrossL, do you have a Blog?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
She must be writing limericks...

Remember the name of my Blog...Friends of Epicaricacy? Well, talk about irony. Quite some time ago I had asked for Google Alerts every time the word "epicaricacy" comes up on Google or in Blogs. I just wanted to keep track of the word. Every day, now, Google obediently sends me an alert...to my Blog! Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I tried to post something on your Blog, z, but couldn't because you have moderator control or something. Anyway, I loved your last entry.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
because you have moderator control or something

I got some spam so I've turned on moderation. I have okayed your comment.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 64 | Location: Martinsburg, W.V.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just spent awhile adding several word related links to my Blog. If I've missed some good ones, please let me know. I perused (the newer meaning) our Links for Linguaphiles to find them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It is rather paradoxical that we’re in the “Information Age”, but by all indices, are less informed about things that matter re our governance than ever.

The above quote is from On the Brain (July 18, 2008), a blog by Dr. Michael Merzenich, a prominent neuroscientist. I read about Dr. Merzenich in The Brain That Changes Itself, by Dr. Norman Doidge. This is one of the most exciting books I've come across in a long time. You can read the first chapter and most of the second in the link above. The book lists for $16 for the paperback (I got mine for $7.99), $24.99 for the hardback and $112.25 for the CDs (10). I've been listening to the CDs (from the library) and reading the book. Check it out.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From The Chicago Manual of Style Online
quote:
March Q&A

Q. What is Chicago’s view on “all of the sudden”?

A. CMOS is silent on the issue, but “all of the sudden” is not idiomatic and normally would be edited to “all of a sudden.” You can compare the frequency and longevity of these two expressions in published books at Ngram Viewer. You aren’t the only one to have noticed the new popularity of “all of the sudden,” by the way. You can read one discussion of the phenomenon here.

This quote led me to the blogs Motivated Grammar and TopLine Communications.

These two articles are from Motivated Grammar.

All of what sudden?

The seductive fear that you’re using words wrong

This article is from TopLine Communications.

14 words you’ve been using incorrectly this whole time

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I loved the seductive fear post about using the wrong word on Motivated Grammar. It brought up two recent word thoughts I've had. First, they used the word plethora. I was recently at a meeting and the speaker used the word plethora at least 5 times. I started to count! I wonder why people often use the same word over and over like that.

Second, the Blog writer used the word niggling. I began to use that word the other day and then wondered if it was a taboo word, for obvious reasons. Is it?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Second, the Blog writer used the word niggling. I began to use that word the other day and then wondered if it was a taboo word, for obvious reasons. Is it?

Much like the word niggardlyI used at OEDILF several years ago which caused a mile ruckus with CJS, since they didn't know the real meaning. Not too obvious while you're watching but it's disconcerting to see a clip with every one in a row.

Not quite a word point, but I just saw a video skewering Titanic for its errors. The main "sin" in the movie was the constant repetition of the characters' names. The principals constantly referred to each other by name over 200 times in a 180-minute movie.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Weird. I hate it when people (particularly salespeople) use your name in every third word of the sentence.

Etymology.com says that it comes from the Norwegian dialectal nigla, meaning "be busy with trifles."

<Proofreader>
posted
In my previous, I cut-and-pasted the ref to "disconcerting" into the wrong para.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post