Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fire and Fury? Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I've started to read the infamous Fire And Fury. Am I alone in thinking that it's really rather dull?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
While I agree with the subject, from what I've read, the details are quite inaccurate. That of course always makes you question the reliability of the whole book.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Seems to me to be quite poorly written. Literally all of the moderately interesting "sound-bites" (can I use that phrase with a book if it's so widely quoted in TV?) have been quoted to death in TV and the rest of it is about as interesting as reading about the results of the local school egg-and-spoon race.

<Proofreader>
posted
reading about the results of the local school egg-and-spoon race.

Do you have the winner? We can't get that on cable.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
reading about the results of the local school egg-and-spoon race.

Do you have the winner? We can't get that on cable.

Apparently Johnson of the fourth form was disqualified after a stewards enquiry and Nigel Farqueharson took home the trophy.

posted Hide Post
Proof just had to egg you on, didn't he?

BTW, there was a previous book of the same title, but about WW II. It's become a best-seller recently, totally by accident.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42611645

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Professor Hansen received a few angry tweets from people who bought the wrong book
Must be semi-lit Trump supporters.

It's the height of hypocrisy that right now I'm watching the Racist-in-Chief honor MLK and talk about great black people after his "shithole" comments the day before.

Of course he also has sycophant Ben Carson by his side.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

Of course he also has sycophant Ben Carson by his side.
Is he the guy on the rice box? Confused Or was that Uncle Tom?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Seems to me to be quite poorly written. Literally all of the moderately interesting "sound-bites" (can I use that phrase with a book if it's so widely quoted in TV?) have been quoted to death in TV and the rest of it is about as interesting as reading about the results of the local school egg-and-spoon race.

Sounds accurate to me. I am not going to read it. I already know the pertinent details.

<Proofreader>
posted
Related to this thread and also wordrelated is this story.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've given up half way through. It's just too boring to waste any more time on it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wasn't planning on reading it, either, Sattva. Agree about the pertinent details.

Sometimes I just don't believe what I am hearing. "Shithole?" And then some at the meeting denied that Donald used that word because instead it was "shithouse?" Oh. My. How far we have descended.

And then the scare in Hawaii? My daughter's friend's parent's were there and called their daughter and said, "goodbye>" to her. They really thought they would die. This administration is a disaster.

<Proofreader>
posted
There's been much discussion about "pushing the wrong button." However, the employee actually picked the wrong option from a pull-down menu on a computer screen. The menu was something like:

EARLY WARNING SYSTEM
TEST WARNING SYSTEM
MISSILE ATTACK
ORDER LUNCH
EVACUATE ISLAND

Partially a joke. They really had a list of thing with the actual alert right below the test option, and he chose the wrong line. The worse thing was they didn't have a way to recall the false alarm (which has now been added).

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
..l the rest of it is about as interesting as reading about the results of the local school egg-and-spoon race.
Just want to state my high appreciation for Brit expressions. While I have never witnessed an 'egg-and-spoon race' at the local school or anywhere else, I immediately get the takedown to the level of elementary trivia.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
RE: the "shithole countries" quote. Absolutely must be cited in context w/ his following statement, "We should have more people from Norway." Eek

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Let no one ever say that I don't explain my references...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRnRJ6uUOc

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:

Sometimes I just don't believe what I am hearing. "Shithole?" And then some at the meeting denied that Donald used that word because instead it was "shithouse?" Oh. My. How far we have descended.

When the best defense you can muster revolves around which specific vulgar slur the President used I'd say you have more serious problems than just vocabulary selection.

posted Hide Post
Since a shithouse is a building, T. Rump will probably try to sell it, so it's surely "shithole."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, and then there was the ridiculous Norway comment. This article in the Tribune (let me know if you can't access it) describes how immigrants to come to America from Africa are more highly educated and skilled than those from other countries, such as Norway.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Watching the Grammys tonight - and they are as political as the Golden Globes were. So glad America is speaking out. I hope this continues until things change.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Watching the Grammys tonight - and they are as political as the Golden Globes were. So glad America is speaking out. I hope this continues until things change.

I didn't watch them. So, what was the gist of what was said?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, they had a great skit about The Fire and Fury, with Hillary even making a showing - which, I guess, infuriated the alt-right. Tough, is what I say. Heaven knows they've infuriated us enough. Others, more subtly, spoke up about the dreamers, having a more inclusive culture, Me Too, etc. Here is a good summary.