Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A gesture? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In another thread I referred to a book I recently read by a Swedish author. Some of the words or phrases he used were not familiar to me. One of them is this:

Context: Ove (main character in my book) was in a bit of a tiff with another driver. The other man gave him the finger.

Response: "Ove responded to the gesture in the manner of all men of a certain age who've been properly raised: by slowly tapping the tip of his finger against the side of his head."

Have you heard of that before?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. In US terms it means, "think," or "mentality," but I suspect in Sweden it likely means the same as pointing to one's head and twirling one's index finger around, i.e. crazy.

It's been fifty years since I worked with a group of Swedes, but that's how I remember it.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesing, Geoff. You may be right.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It is used in German also. Mentally suspect is rather good. Crazy in German gesture if usually indicated by pointing the index finger at one's temple, and then flick it suddenly to point upwards, sometimes with a slight twirling motion. It used to be one of my favorites to perceive in the wild.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I remember from my Spanish classes that in Mexico touching your elbow means "stupid" (that is if my memory is correct).