Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    H. Potter - wordplay
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

H. Potter - wordplay Login/Join

posted
A thread for noting puns and other wordplay in the Potter books. Here's one: the street on which wizard-equipment can be purchased is Diagon Alley [punning on 'diagonally'].

Let's collect as many as we can find.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . .About twenty ghosts ... seemed to be arguing. What looked like a fat little monk was saying: "Forgive and forget, I say, we ought to give him a second chance --"
. . ."My dear Friar, haven't we given Peeves all the chances he deserves? He gives us all a bad name and you know, he's not really even a ghost -- I say, what are you all doing here?"
. . .A ghost wearing a ruff and tights had suddenly noticed the first years.
. . ."New students!" said the Fat Friar, smiling around at them. "About to be Sorted, I suppose?"
(Book I)

Fat Friar? Personally, I always do all my frying in fat, though I hear that some use oil. Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Personally, I always do all my frying in fat, though I hear that some use oil. Wink

Sounds really schmaltzy, Shu! Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I like the name "Newt Scamander". Is there a wordplay there? Sure sounds close to salamander . . .

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post