Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    'dihydrogen monoxide'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'dihydrogen monoxide' Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
The Associated Press, March 15, 2004

Web pranksters warn of dangers of 'dihydrogen monoxide'

ALISO VIEJO, Calif. - City officials were so concerned about the potentially dangerous properties of dihydrogen monoxide that they considered banning foam cups after they learned the chemical was used in their production.

Then they learned, to their chagrin, that dihydrogen monoxide — H2O for short — is the scientific term for water.

"It's embarrassing," said City Manager David J. Norman. "We had a paralegal who did bad research."

The paralegal apparently fell victim to one of the many official looking Web sites that have been put up by pranksters to describe dihydrogen monoxide as "an odorless, tasteless chemical" that can be deadly if accidentally inhaled.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A co-worker e-mailed that site to me. At first I laughed, then I realized that it points out just how ignorant and absurdly reactive the general public is. Consider how the word, "chemical" has become maligned. "Oh, that's got chemicals in it - don't touch it!" I hear crap like that all the time nowadays.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Similarly, though on the other side of that coin, is the word "natural" in regards to foodstuffs. If something is described as "natural," that's not necessarily a good thing.

Hell, arsenic is completely "natural" (as in "found in nature") but that doesn't mean I'm going to sprinkle it on my morning corn flakes.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, anything in excess is dangerous. Water toxicity can cause death.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I suspect we are seeing another meaning arsing for the terms "chemical". Everything contains chemicals (except a high-order vacuum) and so the expression "...it's got chemicals in it..." is, at one and the same time, 100% accurate and highly misleading.

I suspect that the term "chemical" will soon aqcuire another meaning - "...An additive contained in a product or recipe which would not normally be present, typically one manufactured by a separate process..."

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
I suspect we are seeing another meaning arsing for the terms "chemical".

Hmmm... and I suspect you meant "arising" (well I hope you did) Smile

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Whoops!

Nearly made an arise of myself there!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Accidentally inhaling water is usually called drowning.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
Accidentally inhaling water is usually called drowning.

Actually, I guess it's drowning only if you die from inhaling water (or any liquid).

Tinman

[This message was edited by tinman on Sat Mar %80, 2004 at 00:41.]

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Tinman, you crack me up when you quote yourself and correct yourself! Big Grin

Inhaling water or other liquids or materials is also called "aspiration."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So, when I aspire to something, I gotta breathe it in? I aspire to find a new girlfiend, but do I really want her up my nose? Roll Eyes

Hot DAMN, I figured out where the emoricons are! Now if I can just figure out how to quote, and how to cpell "grilfriend."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post