Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Ticks the boxes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ticks the boxes Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I love mathematics.
I love language.
I love Garrison Keillor's rambling annecdotes of Lake Wobegone.

So what could be better than this from Language Log?

17% in the 95th percentile, eh?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The 95th percentile of anything is the range into which ninety five percent fit and five percent don't.

The article says that there are 17% of children under 20 who are in that 5%.

And the Lake Wobegone reference is that in his introduction to his stories Keillor always referred to it as a place where "all the children are above average".

Just as mathematically impossible.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I read all the comments and there were a lot of meanderings there. I used to teach nutrition, so I know a little about this. (My dissertation was measuring energy expenditure in critically ill patients on ventilators.) Those saying that the BMI is very unreliable in kids under 20 are accurate.

Being in the 95th percentile means that the 17% are in the top 5th percentile of children of the same age and sex, so that doesn't make sense. The "normal" weight child would be at 50% of his/her age and gender.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post