Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Revised Elements of style
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revised Elements of style Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
Many Wordcrafters will know of "Strunk and White", the bible of prescriptivists and anathema to descriptivists.

There's a revised version of Strunk's original Elements of Style produced by John Cowan available at http://www.ccil.org/~cowan/style-revised.html

Note that the later, more didactic, pronouncements added by his acolyte, E B White, are not included. It certainly reads much better and far less presciptively than "Strunk and White".

The revisions and excisions of the original 1918 version are shown at http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/style-diff.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's despicable.

Posts: 4 | Location: Cincinnati, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
How so, William?

It's only restoring and updating your original "little book", removing the stuff added after your death by White.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the Reviser's introduction (2006):
quote:
My revisions to the book are founded on the principle that rules of usage and style cannot be drawn out of thin air, nor constructed a priori according to "logic"; they must depend on the actual practice of those who are generally acknowledged to be good writers. For a larger work founded on the same principles and giving much more detailed and up-to-date advice on usage, the reader is urged to consult the current edition of Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage, as I have done with both pleasure and profit while preparing this revision
When using English properly, there are rules that never change.

and
quote:
I have retained as much of Strunk's spirit and characteristic style as I could. I have removed the obsolete, the erroneous, and the merely idiosyncratic (Strunk's arbitrary dislike of "student body", for example) both from Strunk's own usage and from the rules laid down in his book.
Obsolete? Erroneous (how dare him!)? Idiosycratic? How insulting, especially for a chap who is making money on my original publication. Don't you have laws on that?
and
quote:
as well as removing Strunk's Chapter VI on spelling. I have not hesitated to replace Strunk's opinions with contrary ones,
That was my favorite chapter!

However, I am pleased that he, and now everyone else on this board (particularly that renigade Kalleh!), finally realizes this:
quote:
though I was pleasantly surprised to find that many of those I expected to require changing (strictures against split infinitives and final prepositions, as well as the preposterous which/that rule) did not appear in the 1918 edition at all.
I also found this humorous since Geoffrey has been one of my biggest critics:
quote:
My special thanks to Geoffrey Pullum of the University of California at Santa Clara for (quite unintentionally) inspiring me to perform this work of revision.

Posts: 4 | Location: Cincinnati, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Revising a thread...

This is an excellent article by Geoffrey Pullum lamenting Strunk and White's Elements of Style. There is much in the article I loved, but particularly this part about the passive voice:
quote:
What concerns me is that the bias against the passive is being retailed by a pair of authors so grammatically clueless that they don't know what is a passive construction and what isn't. Of the four pairs of examples offered to show readers what to avoid and how to correct it, a staggering three out of the four are mistaken diagnoses. "At dawn the crowing of a rooster could be heard" is correctly identified as a passive clause, but the other three are all errors:

"There were a great number of dead leaves lying on the ground" has no sign of the passive in it anywhere.

"It was not long before she was very sorry that she had said what she had" also contains nothing that is even reminiscent of the passive construction.

"The reason that he left college was that his health became impaired" is presumably fingered as passive because of "impaired," but that's a mistake. It's an adjective here. "Become" doesn't allow a following passive clause. (Notice, for example, that "A new edition became issued by the publishers" is not grammatical.)
I can't imagine writing scientific reports without using the passive voice, though sometimes I've been asked to write funny sounding sentences just to avoid the passive tense. Ridiculous!

I also liked the comment about however. If I dare to start a sentence with however at my place, it gets changed. I once asked our editor about this and she said, "My English teacher told me never to start a sentence with however." Now I know why; she was as student of Strunk and White!

I always thought Strunk and White to be blowhards who pontificated about minor points, but until this article I hadn't realized how much in error they were. Of course, I know E.B. White was an amazing author and in his writings he eschewed most of the rules he cited in the book. So I forgive him (just not Strunk!).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I would seem that the designers of the spelling and grammar tools in Microsoft Word use the Strunk and White "rules", since, by default, this tool catches passive sentences. Fortunately it's possible to turn that rule off.

As I have said many times on these pages, there are many times when the passive voice is the right voice. Lack of directness in communication is not always a fault; it can be a significant virtue.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the relevant section from Elements of Style. I'm not sure if they're saying that those non-passive sentences are passive. They're just saying to use the active voice instead of a construction with be.

On the other hand, constructions with be are active, so what they're really saying isn't "use the active voice", it's "don't use be".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'd not read the work previously (I prefer The Times Style Guide). But it seems to me that those who decry the use of the passive voice, city "Elements of Style" as an authority are misreading or misunderstanding it.

The sentence "This rule does not, of course, mean that the writer should entirely discard the passive voice, which is frequently convenient and sometimes necessary." seems to be quite explicit; there are times when the active voice is better than the passive and vice versa.

The next time a "passive voice objector" objects to your using the passive, Kalleh, tell him or her to re-read the Element of Style.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'd advise anyone to reread Strunk and White. It's just too bossy about things that make little difference.

I have been thinking, though, about people who argue against Strunk and White (or other similar diatribes). It's interesting how in one breath they say they adamantly oppose their principles, but in another they say they use the same principles (such as ending sentences with prepositions) in "formal" writing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I have been thinking, though, about people who argue against Strunk and White (or other similar diatribes). It's interesting how in one breath they say they adamantly oppose their principles, but in another they say they use the same principles (such as ending sentences with prepositions) in "formal" writing.

Where are these people?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Pullum

Geoff Pullum was interviewed about S&W on NPR (link).

Erroneous (how dare him!)?

That should be "How dare he!", unless, of course, English has gone ergative-absolutive overnight. It's also a forzen use of a present subjunctive verb form.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where are these people?
Ah. I carefully chose that phrase so as not to irritate people. Here risks the irritation: Sometimes I think those who consider themselves descriptivists say that they disagree with much of what Strunk and White says, and yet they admit they take the advice in formal writing. Perhaps I'm too black and white, but I think it should either be something that's important or not. It shouldn't depend on the context, at least in my humble opinion.

Nice links, Z.

posted Hide Post
But I don't know anyone who says they adamantly oppose these rules but they use them in formal writing anyway. Speaking for myself I think some of the rules are silly, and some are simply more formal - but more formal doesn't mean wrong or right, it just means more formal.

It completely does depend on context. The correctness of any language depends on the context in which it is used.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, I suppose the difference is that I don't think there should be a big difference between formal and informal writing. Perhaps I am more of a perdescriptivist then. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Well, I suppose the difference is that I don't think there should be a big difference between formal and informal writing. Perhaps I am more of a perdescriptivist then. Wink

So you think that the language I use in an email or blog post should be no different from the language I use in a journal article? How prescriptivist of you Smile

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd hate to review all my posts about this because I am sure I waver back and forth. The truth is, of course there is a difference between formal writing and informal writing or speech. I just go back and forth on this. I always struggle with descriptivism because I tend to be more black and white. That's a mistake.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I always struggle with descriptivism because I tend to be more black and white.

I don't think that the use of register (speaking or writing differently in different contexts) can be blamed on descriptivism. It's just a simple fact of language. We tend to speak or write differently depending on our audience, the topic, etc.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think that the use of register (speaking or writing differently in different contexts) can be blamed on descriptivism.
I agree with that. There's no blame here.

I just sometimes struggle with what's accepted where. It's not the descriptivists' problem; it's mine.