Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Daley's "greatest hits"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daley's "greatest hits" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Mayor Daley has stepped down as Mayor of Chicago, but we truly will miss his, as Eric Zorn calls it, " sparkling tautology !" For example:

"What really makes narcotics so lucrative is the money."

"Scrutiny? What else do you want? Do you want to take my shorts? Give me a break. How much scrutiny do you want to have? You go scrutinize yourself! I get scrootened every day, don't worry, from each and every one of you. It doesn't bother me." Really, it doesn't bother him? "Scrootened?" "Go scrutinize yourself?"!!! Love that!

At one point Daley responded to a reporter's question about effectiveness of gun control in Chicago by holding up a bayoneted rifle and saying, "If I put this up your butt, you'll find out how effective it is."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Gosh he's way more colorful than Bloomberg!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, many of us miss him because of that. I remember driving home sometimes and hearing an interview with his "sparkling tautology." I, along with the anchor on the radio station, would be roaring with laughter. Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
How did he compare with his father on the corruption scale? I used to be a faithful of Mike Royko's column on the Chicago Daily News wire feed in the years when I was a newspaper copy editor, waaaay back in the late '60s.

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too was a Royko fan. Didn't like his politics, but loved his way with words. I used to say that I'd love to murder him, but would be the loudest mourner at his funeral! Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post