Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

100 years ago Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It has been 100 years since the Prohibition Amendment took effect so to honor the date, the Chicago Tribune's editorial was the same one they wrote 100 years ago. I found the writing style so interesting, as compared to today. Do you agree? (Let me know if you can't access it and I'll copy and paste it.)

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Certainly interesting but I can't really compare it to today as the US newspaper style is already very different to the UK style - especially in editorials. Come to that the editorial style varies enormously across the publications in the UK.

But, regardless, I shall pop out and celebrate the centenary with a few beers tonight as I am, for the moment, in a town where I can actually get decent beer.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting take on booze consumption/prohibition in Russia under Gorbachev: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3818525/ Unlike there, our government didn't collapse as a result of prohibition, but there are comparisons.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very interesting and scholarly article, Geoff.

Bob, while I get that our writing styles between countries are different, I am surprised that you didn't notice such a difference in the writing of that editorial. It seems flowery and almost pretentious.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
It seems flowery and almost pretentious.

As indeed did the several bottles of Kentucky IPA that I began the evening with.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Kentucky IPA in China? Wow, that surprises me.

posted Hide Post
Maybe they make it in China but stick a US name on it? Go to a Harbor Freight tool store and you'll see all of their power tools bearing a brand such as "Pittsburgh, "Portland," etc. Here's an example: https://www.harborfreight.com/...E5NzQifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
Maybe they make it in China but stick a US name on it?

It's quite possible but the Chinese label on it is stuck over the one in English so I suspect it's imported. The restaurant's range of beers from Tennents brewery in Scotland is certainly all imported.