Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Chaucer Manuscripts -- discrepancy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chaucer Manuscripts -- discrepancy? Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
My efforts to “translate” Chaucer’s Middle English made me look at a sample very closely, That that revealed a discrepency in the Chaucer records. In a line of the Miller’s Tale is Chaucer describing a lady’s eyebrows, and says, "And they were arched and black as any sloe."

The Middle English, according to almost every on-line version, reads “And tho were bent and blake as any sloo.¹ But Goofy has linked us to page-images from 1476, which show "And tho were bent and blak as any slo." (4th line of page)

Why the discrepancy? (There seems to be an earlier manuscript-copy extant, but I couldn’t find it on-line. Perhaps someone else can?)

¹E.g., versions by Harvard (line 3246 of the entire work) and The Electronic Literature Foundation (line 60 of tale)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Collating and editing MSS is a lengthy and difficult task. Most people don't seem to realize that many of our older books exist in sometimes wildly differing MSS. For example, take Geoffrey of Monmouth's History of the Kings of Britain. There are literally hundreds of MSS from within a century or so of its publication. The Penguin paperback edition is based on one scholarly edition which in turn is based on one MS. I have both, and I have another scholar's doctoral dissertation which is a cataloging (and comparison) of the many other divergent MSS. Take Shakespeare's plays. Most scholars agree that none of the Bard's MSS survive. Take just one play: Hamlet. There are two earliest published quartos: one, the first, often called the bad and the second, often called the good quarto. They are very different. How different? Compare these two versions of the famous "to be or not to be" soliloquy:
quote:
Ham. To be, or not to be, I there's the point,
To Die, to sleepe, is that all? I all:
No, to sleepe, to dreame, I mary there it goes,
For in that dreame of death, when wee awake,
And borne before an euerlasting Iudge,
From whence no passenger euer retur'nd,
The vndiscouered country, at whose sight
The happy smile, and the accursed damn'd.
But for this, the ioyfull hope of this,
Whol'd beare the scornes and flattery of the world,
Scorned by the right rich, the rich curssed of the poore?
The widow being oppressd, the orphan wrong'd;
The taste of hunger, or a tirants raigne,
And thousand more calamities besides,
To grunt and sweate vnder this weary life,
When that he may his full Quietus make,
With a bare bodkin, who would this indure,
But for a hope of something after death?
Which pusles the braine, and doth confound the sence,
Which makes vs rather beare those euilles we haue,
Than flie to others that we know not of.
I that, O this conscience makes cowardes of vs all,
Lady in thy orizons, be all my sinnes remembred.

Hamlet To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

The first is from the bad quarto, and the second is how the scene is in most modern editions of the play. The bad quarto is assumed to be a pirated edition that one of the minor players in Hamlet dictated the the printer. Other scholars opine that the bad quarto is an earlier version. My point is, the first quarto is the earliest version of the play. Why isn't it the one printed in modern editions.

So, I guess your question is, you should get some scholarly books on Chaucer, and the many MSS and print editions, read up on them, and then make your decision.

(Also, I don't see that there's much difference between blak and blake, except the latter is possibly two syllables. How does the line scan. You also know that many latter critics felt that Chaucer was not a very good poet, because he often got the meter and rhyme of his poems wrong. They did not realize that English had changed between Chaucer's time and their own.)

[Addendum: You might want to read the article on textual criticism on Wikipedia. It will point you at some of the major works in this field, some of which are on line, others of which should be available in a good public or university library. For example, W W Greg's "The Rationale of the Copy-Text" is available online. BTW, Greg was the grandson of James Wilson, the founder of The Economist magazine.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
But Goofy has linked us to page-images from 1476, which show "And tho were bent and blak as any slo." (4th line of page)

Actually what it says is "And they were bent and blak as ony ſlo" but other than that I can't help you. Smile

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Another view of Caxton's (and his apprentice, Wynkyn de Worde's) errors and omissions:
quote:
Occasionally I observed that some of Caxton's terms were misunderstood and wrongly rendered, but on the whole, W. de Worde's text is superior to Caxton's, both in exactness and correctness: I can hardly call to mind a misprint. If we take into consideration that in those days philology did not exist, and that no one cared to reproduce a text with scrupulous exactness, the variations are rather improvements upon Caxton's text, for many errors are corrected, words, and even whole passages, often added, which, to conclude from the sense, Caxton's compositors evidently omitted. Prom the point of view of the modern critic it is, however, apparent that owing to these changes Caxton's text had already in 1529 lost its most characteristic peculiarities. The difference of orthography in both texts is so considerable, that to quote all variations in this respect would be almost equal to reproducing the whole of W. de Worde's second edition. But as W. de Worde's orthography is consistent, and all passages quoted are rendered exactly, one can easily form an opinion about his spelling.

[From H Oskar Sommer's Le Morte Darthur by Syr Thomas Malory: The Original Edition of William Caxton (1890)]

[Addendum: The first page of the Hengwrt MS is online. It is the oldest extant MS.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
To give you some kind of idea of the variety of Medieval MSS, here are excerpts from six MSS that were edited in the 19th century by the Early English Text Society (EETE which is still in existence and was closely tied to the New English Dictionary, aka OED):

1. Petworth MS

3246. And Þoo were bent and blake as eny sloo /

2. Lansdowne MS

3246. And Þo were bente . and blake as any . slo .

3. Ellesmere MS

3246. And tho were bent / and blake as any sloo

4. Corpus MS

3246. And Þo were bent and blak as any slo

5. Harleian MS

3246. And Þo were bent as blak as a slo

6. Cambridge MS

3246. And Þ⁰ were bent & blake as is a slo

The reader is directed to the variation in spelling, letters used, punctuation, and difference in wording.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Walter William Skeat, author of an etymological dictionary still in print, edited a complete works of Chaucer in the late 19th century. In a chapter of this work, he gives an account of the MS sources of the Canterbury Tales. It is well worth a read. In it, he discusses, the evolution of Chaucer's poem, and how the tales fall into nine distinct groups.
quote:
His design was to make a collection of tales which he had previously written, to write more new tales to go with these, and to unite them all into a series by means of connecting links, which should account for the change from one narrator to the next in order. In doing this, he did not work continuously, but inserted the connecting links as they occurred to him, being probably well aware that this was the best way of avoiding an appearance of artificiality. The result is that some links are perfectly supplied, and others not written at all, thus affording a series of fragments or Groups, complete in themselves, but having gaps between them. A full account of these Groups, showing which tales are inseparably linked together, and which are not joined at all, is given in Dr. Furnivall's Temporary Preface to the Six-text Edition of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, published for the Chaucer Society in 1868. The resulting groups are nine.(p. 375)

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Here's an article about biochemists using algorithms developed for genetics and cladistics to trace the pedigree of the various manuscripts of The Wife of Bath's Tale.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post