Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    enclothed cognition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

enclothed cognition Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Apparently there is a new phrase that Rex Huppke , a columnist in the business section of the Tribune, says will soon be widely used: "enclothed cognition." Have you heard of it? It means that what you wear can influence your behavior. For example, studies have shown that if people wore lab coats, they were more careful and attentive, attributes of scientists or physicians. On the other hand, another group wore the same lab coat, but were told it was a painter's robe. This group showed no increased attention span. The author of the study (Adam Galinsky, a professor of ethics and decision making in management at Northwestern University) wonders if wearing a priest or judge robe or a policeman's uniform, etc., affects behavior.

Interestingly, Huppke took that to talking about your online image; that is, people worry about what comes up when they are googled, or "google anxiety." There are people out there who actually do "social media audits" for companies. One such consultant says that about 1/4 of his companies' clients come up with something that raises a red flag. Wow!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
What a ridiculously long-winded phrase! Even if the concept were to gain common currency, they ought to coin a snappier way of putting it.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
"Clothes maketh the man"?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, arnie. I don't even think we need a new phrase for the concept of dressing appropriately. I also thought it was as strange way to segue into the whole google anxiety concept.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I'm reading a series set in Henry VIII's day. Trades, professions, courtiers all wore specific working garb, professional robes with insignia, adornment or other mark of rank, when working or out & about. You could tell what someone did for a living from 50 yds. Sure must have cut down on cocktail chat.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've read that at one time only royalty could wear (or could afford to wear) purple. The dye was very expensive so only the rich could wear it and eventua.ly laws were passed preventing the peonage from wearing the color.

It's a little diffdrent today. Only the very rich can afford to strap their dog to the roof of a car.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cogitate best when unclothed. What will that there perfesser think of that?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Regardless of the words being used I think the study is suggesting not that our profession or our attitude dictates our clothing but rather that our clothing influences our attitudes. Dress me up as an undertaker and I'll start to think and act like an undertaker.

A sort of Whorfian haberdashery.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You're right; it does sound Whorfian! I thought it was a balderdash, too.