Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peeving again Login/Join

posted
This from Google news: " For more than a year, the White House has required reporters to RSVP for events where Biden often takes questions. Those let in are picked based on a secret criteria..."

Two issues: Since "RSVP" means "respond if you please," it's not mandatory, yet we take it that way. "Criteria" is plural. James J. Kilpatrick, come hold my hand and tell me it's gonna be OK.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm not even sure I understand the intent of the statement. The request (not requirement) to RSVP means that it is an invitation only event so anyone who is asked to RSVP must surely be invited and therefore would be let in whether or not they have RSVPd. If it is an invitation only event then it is not a public or semi-public event and as a private event they can invite whoever they choose by whatever criteria they choose.

This sounds very much as if it means that some people have been whining "they didn't invite me to the party."

It doesn't seem to come close to the previous president refusing to allow certain news outlets to even attend press briefings.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
But I am not sure that I completely agree with your assessment of what RSVP means. Yes the words literally mean "respond if you please" but how would you take a notice on a gate that said "Private Property - Please Do Not Enter" or a notice at a bank that says "Motorcyclists please remove your helmets before entering"?

The use of the word "please" can be used to soften the tone of what, nevertheless, is still an order."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I always thought it meant you should reply. I looked it up online and found this:

quote:
Does RSVP mean you have to reply?
The term "RSVP" comes from the French expression répondez s'il vous plaît, meaning "please respond."

Is that an incorrect translation? "Please respond" seems more of a command than "respond if you please."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I always thought it meant you should reply. I looked it up online and found this:

quote:
Does RSVP mean you have to reply?
The term "RSVP" comes from the French expression répondez s'il vous plaît, meaning "please respond."

Is that an incorrect translation? "Please respond" seems more of a command than "respond if you please."

The French literally means "respond if you please" but is usually translated as "please respond" and while not an order it's considered polite especially if it's to a catered event as knowing numbers attending is important.

posted Hide Post
Oh, well, I'm too much of a literalist.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post