Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    The e-word again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The e-word again Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I received an email today from CJ from OEDILF, and he sent me a copy of an email he'd received from Tsuwm's WWFTD site:

the worthless word for the day is: cacozelia

[Gk kakozelia: unhappy imitation; affectation]
/ka ko ZEEL i a/
studied affectation in diction or style, as in a
speech filled with pedantic latinisms and inkhorn words (not to be confused with lalochezia?)

""It's not over until it's gone" should be
this nation's watchword.
Until what's gone, you ask, eyes coruscating
with the eager spirit of youth, brow bulging
quaquaversally (pardon my cacozelia)."
- Ben Tripp, counterpunch. org Oct 26, 2004

"[T]he Times may just be engaging in epicaricacy, but that should not compel us to give ourselves over to cacozelia."
- James Robbins, nationalreview. com Nov 18, 2008

The strange thing is, I am supposed to get an Google Alert every time epicaricacy is used, and I didn't get one related to Tsuwm's site nor related to the Robbins's quote. I suspect Tsuwm used that quote on purpose. Wink

I am now intrigued with the word quaquaversally...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quaquaversally

Link.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I *thought I had seen the word here - but I couldn't get the Find thingy to work!

p.s. - give google a chance, I just posted my page update this morning..

<Proofreader>
posted
Works OK for me.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The "find" function was down for awhile because of our updates, but it should be working now. I found "no matches" for quaquaversally. Perhaps it was that "other place" that you were thinking about.

I used to get the WWFTD, and then I changed from aol to gmail, and I imagine all those emails are going into a big, black cyberhole (is there a word for all things that disappear on the Internet?). I will sign up for it again.

Shouldn't Google have alerted me to the November use of the word by James Robbin, though?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

posted Hide Post
quote:
I found "no matches" for quaquaversally. Perhaps it was that "other place" that you were thinking about.

no, it was cacozelia I was finding for (and yes, I find it now when it's too late) - I *knew where to find quaquaversal! : )

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I imagine all those emails are going into a big, black cyberhole (is there a word for all things that disappear on the Internet?)

Well, the place where it all goes is usually called the bit bucket (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
I imagine all those emails are going into a big, black cyberhole (is there a word for all things that disappear on the Internet?)

Well, the place where it all goes is usually called the bit bucket (link).

whereas I'd say that the bit bucket is more of a known destination and implies volition; when things disappear mysteriously, I'm more apt to use 'black hole' as the ultimate destination. (see same link)

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I used to get the WWFTD

I subscribe to the RSS feed via Yahoo! Groups.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wwftd/

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I finally figured it out after tsuwm gave me directions on my Blog. However, I was clicking away (much too quickly!) and had forgotten that I have a Yahoo namee. Therefore, my name in the Yahoo! Group is: ObamaBarack60. Roll Eyes Yes, you figured it out; I was Obama during our chat costume party on Halloween. Z emailed me that he had figured it out, but I don't know if anyone else knew.