Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opposites Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was watching a show tonight where they wondered about the opposite of "interesting." My thought was "boring," but the question piqued my interest and I found this website on opposites. While many seemed good, some of them were quite odd to me. For example, is "lady" the opposite of "gentleman" to you? Or is "mean" the opposite of "generous?" Take a look at it and see what other odd/wrong ones you can find.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It depends on your definition of "opposite". Some words don't really have an opposite; is an adult really the opposite of a child, for instance? Is a man the opposite of a woman? I'd say man and woman are similar, not opposites, although I can see why they're listed.

One particular pairing that I noticed is active/lazy. That really is wrong. Another is to amuse/to bore.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I like the Discworld conceit where "sober" isn't the opposite of "drunk" it's merely the absence of "drunk" and the opposite of "drunk" is "knurd" the state that is on the opposite side of "sober" as far as "drunk" is on this side.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.php/Knurd

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess he's not a fan of Chomsky's book, "Necessary Illusions?" Maybe more an Ashleigh Brilliant fan: https://www.goodreads.com/book...g_for_a_Good_Fantasy

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, what kind of a site is that wiki.lspace? It reminds me of the "Onion." All those links must have been hard to plan.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No idea, I just googled Knurd to get more info for you.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post