Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Children's Book Awards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Children's Book Awards Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, then, let's just say (instead), "Good morning Mr. Pontoon. How's your raphe today?" Sounds so much less threatening, and I guess there is more than one of them in any human body, so it's nice and ambiguous.

"How's it hangin'?" is far more common and equally ambiguous.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Lovely tips. I especially like signing letters "scrotally yours", except I don't have one, so there you go.

Is there a joke about scrotum and octopussies? lol

Labially yours,

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You asked, and I delivered. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is there a joke about scrotum and octopussies? lol

No, not really. I just made that up. But I like Kalleh's gawdawful joke machine!

Raphially yours,
(which I suppose means I have a split personality that is stitched together at the center)

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Those really ARE horrible jokes. LOL Now, with all the creative and clever limericsists, you'd think we'd be able to come up with better jokes than THAT!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wonder where octopi carry
Their scrotums...with eight legs, it's very
Confusing, you see.
(And where do they pee?
(And where is that female's cherry?)

I gave it a try, CW. (For the meter-obsessed, "female" must be pronounced fe-may-el for it to work.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speaking of scrotums and labia and all...

I had told Wm about this thread we had awhile ago (2003) on prudes. I reread that link to the discussion of how the word "prude" evolved, and it is so interesting that it used to mean "wise woman." Anyway, Wm had specifically asked about the prude test, and apparently the link is different from the one in 2003; I think the test has changed, too. But here is the new test. Take a stab! I did, and it looks like I am less prudish than I was in the 2003 test, so either I've changed (doubtless!) or the test has changed. I felt some of the questions were no-brainers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, your limerick is positively inspired. I bow before your greatness! It's fabulous!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
So Kalleh - what was your score? Mine is 20. It says:
quote:
Apparently you have no inhibitions about the racier side of life. You barely blink an eye at the mention of sensitive topics like sex, and you're able to let go of your inhibitions (if you even have any) to cut loose once in awhile. Get naked, talk about your sex life, live out some fantasies…why not? Life is for living, after all! You probably scoff at those uptight types who are unable to get a little wild, but the truth is they are probably shocked at your behavior. While you don't have to curb your appetite for the untamed just to please the conservative types, make sure you don't step on too many people's toes. You don't want to give anyone a heart attack!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Whew, Cat--I got a 40, so I am somewhere in betwixt. Also, I wanted there to be a "maybe" option for a lot of these questions, like the skinny dipping question and the subway question.....

Thanks for the test Kalleh!

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Like so many of these kinds of quizzes, there are times when a yes or no reply isn't appropriate. For example, the stripping naked on the subway platform question - I'd have no real problem with this providing the reward suited me - but giving the money to a charity would not tempt me as I am not a person who believes in the value of many charities.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
I took the test and find I am “somewhere between untamed and uptight on the prude scale. Depending on the situation, you can be downright prudish or completely unrestrained” which is absolutely true!! I can skinny dip at the drop of a hat but could never imagine stripping off in a subway.

I’m a mess of conflicting desires;
There are days I run hot as bushfires.
Then again I’m a prude
And consider it lewd,
When this talk about scrota transpires.

Love this one. "Isn't the sea what Algy calls it: a grey sweet mother? The snotgreen sea. The scrotum-tightening sea. Epi oinopa ponton." [Joyce, "Ulysses"] OED

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wordmatic, I really didn't remember my score so I took it again and did much worse. I got 45 this time, and this is what it said:

You lie somewhere between untamed and uptight on the prude scale. Depending on the situation, you can be downright prudish or completely unrestrained. Perhaps there are certain taboo topics that make you uncomfortable; one person, for example, might have no problem marching around in their birthday suit in broad daylight, but would rather die than tell a dirty joke. Everyone has different inhibitions as a result of their backgrounds and personal experiences, and you're no exception. Just remember not to judge others if their comfort level doesn't happen to match up with your own. Vivre la difference!

I think the difference was that this time I chose not to have the leather bondage. I suppose I could try it, but it just didn't sound all that intriguing. I'd rather have a romantic moonlit ride down the Seine, or something similar. Yep, I'm a prude after all.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with scoring more conservatively on that test. It was not designed by a scientist or anything, and as several of us noticed, there were many questions that didn't give us the answer we'd really say so we had to compromise.

Also, there isn't really an option of being classed a "romantic", is there? Are romantics more prudish than others? I think not - I think that would be a whole different scale. Maybe I'm the one who should be ashamed of my lewdness. Wink

~Dalai Lama

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Their scores, although quite widely separated in points, seem to give too often the same result, also. I scored 35 and got the same comments as CW, who scored 20. Whereas I'm about one-third a complete prude, CW is only one-fifth. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have gone back and changed one or two answers, too, and found the same results. I find that curious. Well, Arnie . . . I suppose, though, at a 35, you might be quite corruptible. Too bad you won't be in Chicago in April! LOL

~Dalai Lama

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I wasn't quite clear as to whose test this was. It was very much like one of those "Does your boyfriend/husband really love you" quizzes from the teen/women's mags.

Wordmatic

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Right. It's so easy to make up your own quizzes these days, that kids all over the world are doing it. Let's make up a quiz to test IQ from vocabulary words!

~Dalai Lama

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I remember all the Cosmo quizzes I used to take, and I actually believed them!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I took many from Cosmo . . . but I do remember taking a lot of quizzes in Teen and Seventeen magazines.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And returning to the topic again...

Most of you know that I collect editions of Alice In Wonderland. However when I find them for a reasonable price I also pick up the occasional copy of one of the many (many) Oz books.

I just got hold of a copy of Bill And The Purple Cow In Oz, an innocuous and not terribly exciting addition to the series by Chris J. Wright. On page 130 I've just come across this sentence.

quote:
It seems that no matter how how many times we tell them to stay on their own hill, sooner or later they get all bollixed up.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Ha! Another scrotially oriented comment! Thanks for sharing that, Bob!

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
Darn! This is what happens when I get tied up in work. I miss all these threads!

Anyway, Caterwauller said "labially yours"

Sad to say, but that seems to imply mere lip service....

Also - the correct answer to "How's it hanging" is "Loose, but secure"

Bob - wandering off in search of more mischief to cause

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post