Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Ouestion on Reading
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ouestion on Reading Login/Join

posted
Read any good books lately, that you might recommend?

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Go ahead and re-read The Lord of the Rings, Two Towers, etc. you'll be glad you did. Nice to escape our current world for that one.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome is one of the funniest books in the English Language. The Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith is another.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What format should I use to download the etext? I've never done this before. Should I use a zip file?

I recently re-read Stephenson's The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. I hadn't realised when I read it at 13 how amazing a book it is.

Another good book that's left a lasting impression on me is Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things.

A friend has suggested I read Thomas Pychon. Have any of you read him? What did you think? Which novel should I go for?

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
Read any good books lately, that you might recommend?

I'm in the process of writing one. If it turns out any good, I'll let you know.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
What format should I use to download the etext?
If you're talking about Project Gutenberg Etext, it's a simple text (*.txt) file, which will open in your browser. Alternatively you can download it as a zip file, then unzip it to your hard disk. You can then open it with a decent text editor or word processor. (Note: if you have Windows 9X/ME don't try to use Notepad -- it won't open large files.)

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Besides, of course, my daughter's 2 books on women's Seders, I very much enjoyed Elizabeth Strout's "Isabelle and Amy". This is a wonderful novel about a mother/daughter relationship (a bit risque in places!) by a new author whom I am going to carefully follow. She writes much like Anne Tyler.

My daughter recommends Republic.com, by Cass Sundstein, which addresses some of the issues of using the Internet for information. I am anxious to read it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'A Pelican In The Wilderness - hermits, solitaries and recluses.'
by Isabel Colegate.
(Harper Collins)

I've just finished this and it was a joy to read. Some absolutely fascinating information and anecdotes about great writers and poets which are manna to a hungry mind. It's a dance through history, religion, idiosyncracy, poetry, literature, gardens, and very strange people!!

I loved it.

Tadpole

Posts: 48 | Location: Avon, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
This looks interesting to me, especially in this "terrorist" time: http://www.powells.com/review/2006_11_23

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at Lincoln and Chief Justice Taney (pronounced "tawney") by James F. Simon. My interest was piqued by a recent review, When the Court Lost Its Conscience.

PS: The review states that in a particular case Taney "also tacked on the gratuitous announcement that blacks were incapable of rising to the level of citizenship." A terrible and disgusting view, of course, but as not at all gratuitous: the case required that the Court take a position on what "citizen" meant under the constitution.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've been reading Frank McCourt's Teacher Man. It's good, but I liked Angela's Ashes better.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I'm currently listening to the CD of The World is Flat and finding it very interesting. I'm also reading At Knit's End: Meditations for Women Who Knit Too Much by Yarn Harlot, whose blog I read regularly. I also just finished reading Home Again, a very well-done romance by a friend of mine and former librarian.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Just finished Vernon Vinge's Rainbows End (the lack of an apostrophe in the title of and a location in the book make it into a minor part of the plot) and Gregoire Bouillier's The Mystery Guest. Both were good. I am currently reading The Warden of English: The Life of H W Fowler which I picked up used for a penny. It is by Jenny McMorris.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post