Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Alice In Washington
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alice In Washington Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
The latest addition to my ever-expanding Alice library is a book called Alice In Washington by Richard Pray Bonine.

It says on the back of the book
"...a gentle satire full of puns and poems and gallopng alliterations that illuminate the dreams and schemes af Bill and the Boomers and Hillary too, all in the style of Alice In Wonderland"

As you can possibly guess it's satirising the life of Bill Clinton.

I confess I've given up trying to read it halfway through and just filed it on the shelf.

Now here are my questions. Have any of the Americans on the board read it?
If so, is it just because I'm British that the whole thing seems like unreadable gibberish?
Would I perhaps enjoy it more if I knew every detail of the Whitewater affair or could list the members of the Clinton administration in alphabetical order?
Or is it just as incomprehensible to the average American as it is to me?

If no-one has read it can someone volunteer to try to read it and then enlighten me?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, I haven't read it, but I will buy a copy and do so. However, I suspect if it is gibberish to you, it will be to me as well!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does your Alice collection include Alice in the Delighted States, by Edward Hope [pseud. of Edward Hope Coffey]? This is a delightful parody of US politics of the 1920s, and worth reading in is own right.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by haberdasher:
Does your Alice collection include Alice in the Delighted States, by Edward Hope [pseud. of Edward Hope Coffey]? This is a delightful parody of US politics of the 1920s, and worth reading in is own right.

It's also been out of print for a long time. I have a few pages of it that were reprinted in a compilation but that's all.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I s'pose it has. More's the pity. On the other hand used copies are available on the net for under ten dollars plus shipping. Well worth it, in my opinion, if you think that kind of stuff belongs in your collection...

Posts: 6270 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post