Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Good bye to an American icon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good bye to an American icon Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I must reread "Catcher in the Rye" now that Salinger has died. His life story surely isn't on par with most famous people today, as he was a recluse for more than 50 years. He apparently had been writing all those years, but his writings won't be made public. Too bad.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A professor apparently tried to meet with him, and here is his story.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Interesting.
quote:
almost everyone with a high school education has read "Catcher in the Rye."
I did not read Catcher in the Rye in high school. I t was not assigned, and I pretty much took every English class they offered in those pre-proposition-13 days of multiple elective classes. I did read it as an adult about two decades ago, and, for the life of me, I couldn't quite tell what all the fuss was about. It was a nice easily-forgettable novel about teen angst. Maybe it would have affected me more if I'd read it as a teen, although I was not very alienated as one or disaffected.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We all respond differently to books. There are many that I've wondered what all the fuss is about as well, though I'd probably not admit it here.