Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Exclamation points
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exclamation points Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I liked this article about exclamation points.
quote:
As most of you know, the exclamation point was born in the late 1800s in the small English town of Berwick-upon-Tweed. According to the legend I am fabricating, the wisest woman in town was Eunice Exclam, who was very hard of hearing and yelled when she spoke.

On matters great and small, the townsfolk would seek Exclam's advice, which she would deliver at great volume from her front porch. Her statements came to be known as "Exclam's point."

Over the decades, the term evolved into what we now call the exclamation point, a symbol that represents Eunice, who was very skinny and always stood on a ball (!).

(There are conflicting theories that the exclamation point surfaced in the 14th century and was initially known as "punctus admirativus," but that sounds boring.)
Seriously, I think he makes a good point about exclamation points, but then definitely I am a "pointer."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Of course, we don't call them "points" in the UK; they are "exclamation marks". Which, I suppose, would indicate (were it not already obvious) a US origin for this tall tale.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, since the author writes for the Chicago Tribune, and he freely admits he fabricated it, it's likely he's American.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, but we get our version because she also carried a stick and when people didn't understand her rapped them sharply on the forehead with it. the resulting reddening being an exclamation mark.

I'd have thought that was obvious.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that reporter would be great here on Wordcraft, coming up with fake definitions and fake etymologies! I just loved his creativity.

I call them "exclamation marks," too, but I called them "points" in this post because I thought I was wrong. The British just use "mark?" Americans, do any of you use "mark?"

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Americans, do any of you use "mark?"

I use mark, but sometimes also point. Neither sounds particularly British to me.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"Mark" is the sound a dog with a harelip makes.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I use "point," too, Z. I do agree that neither sounds particularly British to me, either.