Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    "Akeelah and the Bee"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Akeelah and the Bee" Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Rob Asghar in the Chicago Tribune writes about "Akeelah and the Bee," a movie about a young African American girl's success, based on her growing command of the English language. This movie (which I haven't seen yet) apparently celebrates English.

At least in the U.S., we need that right now! Asghar, for example, has seen signs in south LA that have said, "English Only = White Only." I wonder why speaking English only has become so political.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu and I saw "Akeelah and the Bee" tonight, and it is wonderful. If you like words, etymology, and language, I highly recommend it.

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I'll go farther than my wife did. See it. Period. Don't ask questions; just trust me on this, and see it. Anyone who enjoys what this board is about will love this movie.

From a review; Finally a sports movie for people who hate sports. That's because the sport in question is spelling really hard words no one in real life ever uses unless they're Gore Vidal.

But watch for philoprogenitive. Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I heard that "Akeelah and the Bee" has caused quite a buzz. Big Grin