Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Seabiscuit and "Misquotation"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seabiscuit and "Misquotation" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Kalleh and I saw the movie Seabiscuit last night. In one scene, as the jockey is on his way aboard Seabiscuit from the paddock to the track, he answers sports writers' questions about his horse's size by saying,
quote:
Though he be but little, he is fierce. That's Shakespeare, boys!
Looking it up, I found that the quotation twists Shakespeare. Not because it changes Shakespeare's "she" to "he" (I wouldn't call it a misquote for that reason), but because it makes a compliment out of what was in Shakespeare a biting insult that said in effect, "She's a shrewish bitch."
quote:
O, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd:
She was a vixen when she went to school;
And, though she be but little, she is fierce.
-- Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream III. 2.
Thoughts about how "the devil can cite scripture to his purposes?"

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Shu, I think it more has to do with the different meanings of the word "fierce." The movie used it to mean "extremely intense or strenuously active or resolute", while Shakespeare meant it as "having a savage or violent nature." And, to be honest, Seabiscuit did have the latter in the beginning. I just didn't think the quote was all that off.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Its been brought to my attention that the movie has a scene in which geese are flying overhead, but are making the quacking sound of ducks.

Doubtless multi-lingual.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During the filming of the movie "The Natural" here in Buffalo some 20 years or so ago, I got to know the sound editor very well. Most of the sounds in these movies are added after the fact. The sounds from the movie "Mr. Mom" were created in their kitchen! The sound of eggs frying, the toaster popping and the can opener whirring were all done at his home!

If you ever want to see a truly remarkable movie for sound and sight, find a copy of "Quiet Earth". It was a sci-fi movie that came out about 18 years ago. There are numerous outdoor scenes and not a bird to be seen, or any other animals. I was truly amazed.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post