Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Another chapter, another limerick...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another chapter, another limerick... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Once again I am writing a chapter and would like to start it with a limerick, as I have been doing with all my book chapters. This chapter is entitled, "Clinical Education and Regulation." I'd like to stress the importance that while we support innovation and change in regulation, we also take the position that supervised clinical experiences with actual patients is a must. Since clinical experiences are time-consuming and expensive, some programs want to eliminate them, and indeed one program provides absolutely no clinical experiences for nursing students. Surely I can't say all that in a limerick, but I'd like to give the readers a preview of this issue. I'd love a little help from my colleagues here, and I hope I've done enough to provide the context.

Here is my favorite so far:

Our mantra for nurse education:
While planning for course innovation,
You must be aware
That direct patient care
Is essential for nurses' formation.

[I could say something about their foundation, too. I am hoping they'll know that "our" means nursing regulation, since the chapter is about the perspective of regulation.]

Here's another, but a little too negative, I think:

Our mantra for faculty's this:
We know that you can't reminisce
Of outdated teaching
With lectures and preaching.
But no contact with patients? Remiss!

This is due on the 16th, so I have plenty of time for workshopping. Thanks for any ideas.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A good idea and a good limerick.

You might have a think about the changes I have suggested:

1. I transposed L 1/2 so as to introduce the concept of plannning immediately. This also allows you to get rid of the slightly awkward colon transition.

2. As it's a mantra (something that is typically chanted or repeated vocally) it might be better to make it quoted speech.

3. "Face-to-face care" might better convey the idea of proper interaction with patients than does "direct care"

4. Creation rather than formation is a possibility, since I reckon the nurses are being made, rather than formed.

Anyway, all ideas for you to accept or reject as you will.

Our mantra for nurse education,
Is, "Please be aware
That face to face care
Is vital for nurses' creation".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I love that you're adding a smidge of lightheartedness to your book chapters.

I like the changes RE suggests - I think the re-config of the lines does work a bit better for conveying your message.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Richard. I like your suggestion, Richard, except for the word "creation." It sounds like creationism or something. I like formation or foundation, though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It sounds like creationism or something. I like formation or foundation, though.

I was concerned about that myself - I know the term is emotive in the USA. How about "instauration" Wink

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I liked your idea of face-to-face care. I was going to change it to clinical care, but I didn't think that would be as clear. This chapter is due tomorrow (though I have asked for an extension until the 20th). Here is what I think I will submit (related to the limerick):

Our mantra for nurse education
Is, “Please be aware
That face-to-face care
Is vital for nurses’ formation.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
suggested alternative L5 ....

"Can improve our communication"

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
"...for nurse fornication."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Grrrr!!!!

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
I lived in a Wisconsin suburb of Chicago for almost two years but I never learned that "Thanks" is pronounced "Grrrr!!!!" in the local dialect there. Big Grin

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was referring to the "fornication" comment, Jer. Funny, yes. Publishable in the chapter I am writing? I'd be lynched!

posted Hide Post
You should know, Jerry, that sexual congress is not something that young people in the medical profession get up to.

Hang on - I just saw a pig fly by...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Finally...today...I sent the chapter in. As my dad used to say, a day late and a dollar short. I hope they like the limerick!