Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Proper names of places and institutions, taken from literature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proper names of places and institutions, taken from literature Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
This may be a one-post thread, but perhaps we can come up with further examples.

The institution we call the United Nations was originally called the "Associated Powers. When President Franklin Roosevelt sopoke with Winston Churchill and proposed the current name Churchill instantly seized upon it, quoting Lord Byron:
quote:
Millions of tongues record thee, and anew
Their children's lips shall echo them, and say --
"Here, where the sword united nations drew,
Our countrymen were warring on that day!"
And this is much, and all which will not pass away."

The Churchill/Roosevetl conversation occurred on New Year's Day, 1942 while Churchill was in the bathtub at the US White House. eek

Any further examples of institutional or geographic names inspired by or alluding to literature?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this house is called possum's place. he is a cat. after i named him 16 years ago (he's still kickin' butt and takin' names) i saw t.s. eliot's old possum's book of cats. he is fat. he is a cat. he is now old. for people who don't know, "Cats" the longest running broadway show was adapted from Old Possum's Book of Cats.

so....is this anything?

Posts: 166 | Location: pointssouth, u.s.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I mention Utopia in this thread. Apparently "A new country that has never existed before, which will be built in a moderately tropical sea, a perfect climate, a paradise: Utopia!" is planned; see the New Utopia Web site. I particularly like "New Utopia will be managed by a Board of Governors; managing what we believe to be the most perfect city/state ever conceived, blending the philosophies of both Ayn Rand and Robert Heinlein."

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Cats."

Never thought of this before, but why was it titled the Old Possum's book?

posted Hide Post
maybe t.s. eliot had a cat named that or something. i just heard last night on tv, some new really stupid drama and they have a character named jay prufrock. man......

for another literary place name, we have a really, really old funky, creepy design, st oner apartment complex here called Moonraker. is that anything? it's the best i could do. big grin

Posts: 166 | Location: pointssouth, u.s.Reply With QuoteReport This Post