Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaveland Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Shu and I were at a great new brew pub in Chicago last night (there are increasing numbers of breweries in the Chicago area now)... Revolution Brewing, and on the menu was a Burning River "guest" beer, which they said was from "Cleaveland." Of course the waitress and I thought it was a misspelling, but Shu, who knows everything (Wink), told us the story. It used to be spelled Cleaveland. Apparently there are two possible explanations as to why it no longer is:
quote:
One explanation as to why the spelling changed is that, in 1830, when the first newspaper, the Cleveland Advertiser, was established, the editor discovered that the head-line was too long for the form, and accordingly left out the letter "a" in the first syllable of "Cleaveland", which spelling was at once adopted by the public.[2] An alternative explanation is that Cleaveland's surveying party misspelled the name of the future town on their original map.

I wonder if CW knew that.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which theory do you cleave to?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wink Well, Shu thinks it's the first theory.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Wink Well, Shu thinks it's the first theory.

Well, I would hope Shu is correct. Surely a surveyor wouldn't misspell a word on his plat. Wink However; a person might want to go into the County or City records and look up the original map. That might be interesting.

(Hopefully, I didn't misspell anyting above)

Posts: 244 | Location: ColoradoReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
In 1830, wouldn't there still be a large variation in spelling, given the lack of literacy in the general population at the time? I've seen offical papers from that period even in New England which had the same word spelled different ways on the same page.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Proofreader is right about that. F'rinstance, my mother's family was named Latham. In official records back into the late 1700s it'sspelled "Letham," "Lethem," "Leatham," and "Latham."

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6172 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia seems to indicate that the surveyors spelled the name correctly on the original map, although they put "Cleaveland" in quotes. Wikipedia doesn't address the discrepancy in the name.

I've no idea if either, or another, theory is right, but lean towards Proof's variable spelling suggestion. The one about the newspaper has the ring of an urban legend to me. There's no mention of a Cleveland Advertiser in Wikipedia, although it's quite likely it stopped publishing many years ago so isn't listed.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Hopefully, I didn't misspell anyting above)
Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Of course, I expect many people assumed it was named after Cleveland in England. There is, after all, no shortage of cities and towns in the USA named after places in Britain.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post