Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eats, Shoots and Leaves Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was a hilarious column by David Martin (Ottawa, CA) in the Chicago Tribune today. He suggests that there will be more books to come, like the popular "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," with clever tripartite titles. Here are some of his suggestions; I am excerpting from his comments.

Steals, Lies & Cheats by Ken Lay
No matter how you punctuate the title, the employees and shareholders come out losers.

Hides, Ducks & Covers by GWB
The Pres details the myriad ways his administration has been able to deny, avoid and obfuscate in this slim volume that serves as a truth massager's handbook.

Lather, Rinse & Repeat by J. Kerry
Learn how the craggy-faced liberal manages to always keep his impressive hair in place and avoid the dreaded hirsute flip-flops

Stop, Drop & Roll by R. Nader
He is now tackling the all-important issue of fire safety. As an expert in self-immolation, Nader, shows how you can sometimes keep on running even when your hair's on fire.

Win, Lose or Draw by D. Cheney
The author explains in boring detail how to use everything from closed-door meetings to the U.S. Supreme Court to achieve your ends.

Calls, Sells & Serves by M. Stewart
Her broker calls, Martha sells, and then she serves--five months in Club Fed and five under house arrest, to be exact. Martha offers dozens of lifestyle suggestions, including how to brighten up concrete walls and how to carve a centerpiece from a bar of soap.

Now, how about some of yours? Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Sticks, Lies, and (edited) Videotape: The real Rodney King Story

What, Me, and Worry: When Dubya replaced Ted Koppel at Mad Magazine

Too Loose To Lose in Touluse: How France stole Boeing's business with Airbus Industrie

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
"Virtue Versus Vice & Vice-versa" Verses -- co-authored by our Vice President and Attorney General

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "...Too Loose To Lose in Touluse: How France stole Boeing's business with Airbus Industrie...

Whereas I have no great love for the French, I would point out that Airbus Industrie is a European consortium, of which the UK is part. It is not French.

So the blame, if blame there be, belongs to several European countries, not just France.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Of course, Richard, you are correct about Airbus, but since I don't know where the British part of Airbus is located, I picked on the French! Big Grin You wouldn't want me picking on my own ancestors - OR your fellow countrymen, now would you?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In 1989 I went to Acapulco and flew three sectors, not one of which was on a Boeing aircraft (DC10, DC9, DC8). That was unusual enough to be worthy of recording.

Now, in Europe, it is is almost getting to the stage that it is unusual if there's a Boeing in the longhaul part of the itinerary.

An amazing change in such a short time from massive Boeing dominence to Boeing being the far less common supplier.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post