Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Arguably a boring topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arguably a boring topic Login/Join

Picture of jerry thomas
posted
I hereby nominate ARGUABLY as the most popular totally useless new word since basically held that position.

Does anyone know whether or not ARGUABLY has any meaning, and if so, what that meaning is?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am arguably the smartest man alive. I'm not saying that I am the smartest man alive, but one could take the position that I was, and a strong position to argue from. "Arguably the best X" means while maybe there is someone else who is better at X, you are certainly on the top of anyones list, and there is no one who is clearly better than you.

It can also take the same meaning as IMO. Arguably, I'm the best, can mean that I think I'm the best, although I'm no so vain as to think that there might be others who are as good or even a little better than I am.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
To pre-empt another reply...

Budweiser is arguably the world's best beer. This may in fact not be true. However as there are certainly those who would say that it is (mainly those working in the marketing department) it is certainly arguable. I rather suspect that quite a lot of people will take the contrary view.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... A moot point. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Mmmmm mmmm mmmoot point

" ... of no practical value."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
Hmmm... A moot point. Wink

What's that nasty brew made from Yak milk? Is it the worst alcoholic beverage there is? Arguably a MOOOOOO-t point.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A "moot point" seems to have evolved in meaning, as we have discussed before. From the OED "moot" means: "having no practical significance or relevance; abstract, academic," and they say that in North America this definition is now the usual sense.

Since "moot" has lost the definition of "debatable" or "open to argument," perhaps "arguably" has developed to take that place?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post