Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    More from my old local paper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More from my old local paper Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Either the 5-year-old is quite a prodigy or the paper could use a new copy editor.

"He was a ‘happy lad’ who adored his family and five-year-old son, who was interested in cars and had studied mechanics at college in Bilston"

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The copy editor thinks he's a child progeny. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when I write fast, I write sentences like that. Editing is so important, isn't it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Speaking of editing, I was reviewing one of our publications today, and one of our editors changed the "me" to "I." Shouldn't it be "me?"

"I would say one of the major differences for both my wife and me is that we are living in an enormous city for the first time."

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It should. This kind of hypercorrection happens when someone assumes that a common correction in some contexts should be applied in all contexts.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
But this was an editor!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Obviously not any good, though.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Read the sentence without"my wife" to see which word is required.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
To me, the "I" doesn't even sound right. I had been an editor as well; it wasn't my original writing. But I made them change it back to "me," from editor #1's change to "I."

Life can be so complicated!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And another. This one's a cracker!

Tributes have flooded in for a ‘larger than life’ musician Trevor T, who played sessions with iconic reggae band Musical Youth after he passed away on Sunday.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But this was an editor!
That editor would not be much help for I.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
And another. This one's a cracker!

Tributes have flooded in for a ‘larger than life’ musician Trevor T, who played sessions with iconic reggae band Musical Youth after he passed away on Sunday.
. On the harp, I assume.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nah, Gabriel lent him his horn.

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now, that is a "cracker," as you British say. Was this printed somewhere? I wonder where those copy editors were...probably too interested in looking for prepositions that end a sentence.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think these are from the online version of Bob's local paper. You'd have to go to Bilston to find out if the printed version had the same phrases. I think that often web versions tend to cut out the proof readers more often in the interests of speed. There's usually not the same rush with the paper version, which might even come out weekly. On the other hand, it's much easier to make corrections.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:

That may just be a fugitive comma missing after the end of the dependent clause.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You are probably right, arnie.

That reminds me of a survey we sent out recently. It seemed as though we had proofed it nine ways from Sunday (and I've never figured out where that phrase came from), though clearly we had not, and spell check wouldn't catch the mistake we made:

"What do you consider the prose and cons of..."? Our only hope was people thinking, "I didn't know the plural of pros was prose." Wink

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This is from a different local paper...

"Jailed police officer who made fake terror 999 call is sacked by force"

Am I the only one picturing a rather violent dismissal?

<Proofreader>
posted
Or put in a bag and tossed in the river.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This came up on a FB feed - from one of those websites about dumping Hillary Clinton: "Hillary is a trader..." Sometimes the ignorance on the website amazes me.