Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    "Surge and Accelerate"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Surge and Accelerate" Login/Join

posted
This Today Show video from today's broadcast features Frank Lutz, a Republican pollster and author of a new book called Words That Work: It's Not What You Say, It's What People Hear. Regardless of your political stance, it's an interesting discussion of Lutz's thoughts on the impact of political buzzwords, such as the Presidential office's new "surge and accelerate" phrase and words Lutz suggests presidential candidates should choose to use in their campaigns.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Saranita, I listened to the whole clip and that interview wasn't there. The book sounds interesting, though. Political buzzwords can be really powerful. I found this list online of a ranking of political buzzwords.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rats. I hate when that happens.

Okay, try this, and if the Frank Lutz interview doesn't come up immediately, look below for his photo. Clicking that should take you there.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's my computer; however, I don't find it, and the link was the same one as yesterday's. I am sorry!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Here is an interview (in text form) that he did with PBS 3 years ago - interesting. Perhaps you'd be more interested in reading this funny site about how to clean up your language to make the people happy? Here is Luntz's site's overview of his book.

Thanks for putting us on to this Saranita!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*sigh* Thanks, girls. I tried my own links and got nada, as well. Best recommendation I can make (besides CW's trustworthy links) is to go to MSNBC.com and do a video search for "Lutz." When I tried that, there's his little picture, which provides a link to the interview. I hate it that Wordcrafters have viewed my post and it wouldn't take them where I promised. (I feel like a shyster car salesman. Red Face) I hope people will give it one more shot. It truly does look like good fodder for discussion here.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Saranita, we will give you a lot more shots...you are one of us now!

Thanks for the links, CW. I was intrigued by this comment of his: "Words alone can be found in a dictionary or a telephone book, but words with emotion can change destiny, can change life as we know it." I am not sure that I agree with it completely, but surely words do have power.

posted Hide Post
We've talked about this before. Virge said, "The way questions are framed plays a huge part in politics," and included a quote by George Lakoff.

Wikipedia has an article on framing.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Words alone can be found in a dictionary or a telephone book, but words with emotion can change destiny, can change life as we know it." I am not sure that I agree with it completely, but surely words do have power.

Here are some words:

Churchill; Hitler; Martin Luther King.

Destiny-changers though the use of words, or not?

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I agree, RE - I think they all changed the course of history through their speeches (and actions).

On this day, a day we in the States celebrate the man, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I will say, though, that, great as his words are (the oft-quoted I Have a Dream speech being one among many great inspirations), they would have done little without his accompanying actions.

I just wish this portion of his great speech was quoted more often:
quote:
The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.

We cannot walk alone.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post