Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Selected Great Literature
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selected Great Literature Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
This thread is prompted by H.H's excellent inquiry here.

Name the works (no more that five), recognized as "Great Literature", that you would most highly commend as vital reading for an educated person.

(Let's exclude the Bible, as that would surely be on many lists of "vital literature".)

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Just off the top of my head, here we go:

_Adventures of Huckleberry Finn_ - Twain

_Their Eyes were Watching God_ - Hurston

_To Kill a Mockingbird_ - Lee

_Pride and Prejudice_ - Austen

I can't decide on another one. I chose each of these because they poignantly convey a valuable part of the culture and philosophy of their time while still being well-written and engaging. IMHO, the best reason to read a book is because you find it enjoyable in some way. The best reason to recommend a book is because it changed you in some way. All of these meet this criteria for me.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of H.H
posted Hide Post
That is exactly the kind of thing I meant, CW.

Posts: 14 | Location: Jerusalem, IsraelReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Well good - I'm glad! Welcome to the board, btw. Tell us more about yourself! Your profile is sadly empty.

~Dalai Lama

Picture of H.H
posted Hide Post
More about myself:

• I am trilingual, speaking Hebrew, English and Russian.
  • I live in Israel, and although Ensligh is not my mother tongue, I learnt it at an early age and have a great love of it. In fact, most of my reading is done in english.
  • I was seriously considering taking a liguistics or linguistics- related B.A, but finally decided against it. It will have to wait for the next time around.
  • I have recently began to staudy Latin by my own. For those of you who know it, you can imagine what an uphill battle it is, none the less it is very interesting.
  • That's about it, really.

One more thing: the initials of my nickname are those of my favourite literary character. Can you guess who that is?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Um... Horatio Hornblower?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Henry Higgins (or should I say 'enry 'iggins)? It would seem to tie in with language. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Hugh Hefner? Hubert Humphrey?

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, HH! How nice to have someone from Israel here.

BTW, CW, what do you know about people thinking that Capote really wrote "To Kill a Mockingbird?" I recently heard a wonderful discussion on that on NPR. They interviewed a professor who was quite persuasive that Capote didn't really write it, and I guess they've recently found some letters by Capote that is also quite persuasive.

I'd think Shakespeare...maybe Hamlet or King Lear, but many of them. I agree about Pride and Prejudice. I love The Sound and the Fury, by Faulkner. How could you manage to live without reading Carroll? Life is made so much more pleasant when I read A.A. Milne's poems.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I'd never even heard of that myth about Capote before, but in searching I found this article about his letter. Pity that Nelle Harper Lee isn't trusted enough to have written it herself. It's always been one of my favorite books, and I'm glad to know she did it alone.

~Dalai Lama

posted Hide Post
I"d never heard the rumor before, but I wouldn't have believed it. I have read before that Atticus Finch was based on her father, Scout was based on her, and Dill was based on Capote.

"To Kill a Mockingbird" is one of my favorite novels.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The professor on NPR also was very persuasive that Capote couldn't possibly have written it. He said the persona was completely different in this book as compared to Capote's books and that it is almost impossible for authors to change their personae. Actually, I think he said "impossible," but I have a hard time thinking that something like this would be "impossible."

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Humbert Humbert?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of H.H
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have a winner! The initials of H.H is Humbert Humbert, the main character of Nobokov's Lolita. I adore the persona of the European finding America difficult, not to mention some of his other...pecularities shall we say.
Arnie - 5 bonus points Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh for heaven's sake...Arnie doesn't need any more points. He wins everything! In our Wordplay forum, he gets all our bluffing game words right, and now he is even getting the first lines of books right! Mad

Great name, H.H! [I bet Arnie wouldn't have guessed that there's only one period. Wink ]