Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hän Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
In other threads, we've been talking about gender neutral pronouns. I just learned that in Finnish they have no gendered pronouns. They use hän for any human. It is truly gender neutral, I am told. Perhaps we should use it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind typing alt 0214 each time you want to use it, fine! ÖK with me.

Posts: 6170 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Why import a term to replace the perfectly good, and venerable, "they"?

(Also it bears too much of a resemblance to the decidedly not genderless "hen".)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What is the term for those two dots? Alt 0214? I had the worst time getting them. I had to start a Word document, insert a symbol and then cut and paste it. Quite a bit of work!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...rs_%C3%84_and_%C3%96

"å, ä and ö are regarded distinct letters and collated after z"

posted Hide Post
Umlaut

posted Hide Post
My child who references themselves as nonbinary uses pronouns they or them. For me its been a transition but we manage. Not sure about the word hän.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by angry and bitter:
My child who references themselves as nonbinary uses pronouns they or them. For me its been a transition but we manage. Not sure about the word hän.

The problem with hän as with all the other made up non binary pronouns is that first you need to persuade enough people to use them whereas “they” has been used this way for centuries and is already familiar to everyone.

posted Hide Post
For me when I think of they or them being used I think of it being plural like im talking about more than one person. Am I wrong?

posted Hide Post
quote:
For me when I think of they or them being used I think of it being plural like im talking about more than one person. Am I wrong?

That's how I've always used them, but I seem to be a dinosaur.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not wrong but it has also been used as a non-gender specific reference for literally hundreds of years. None of the proposed replacements work well. For example some have suggested writing s/he but it’s unpronounceable. Hir in speech is not distinguishable from her. And they all run into that issue of getting anyone to use them anyway.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
What is the term for those two dots? Alt 0214? I had the worst time getting them. I had to start a Word document, insert a symbol and then cut and paste it. Quite a bit of work!

Depends on the context. If you're discussing German, then Umlaut seems appropriate. If something else and you want an "English" term then dieresis or diæresis.

As for typing characters with this diacritic, it depends on your OS. I have an international keyboard installed and so I get a bunch of "foreign" (to US English) characters by typing Right-Alt-char. For example to get the ash above (i.e., 'æ') I typed Right-Alt-z.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
without such a keyboard one can download this: https://usefulshortcuts.com/downloads/ALT-Codes.pdf

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Dieresis is interesting to me because it reminds me of the medical term diuresis. They both are from Latin and Greek, though I couldn't find anything about their being related linguistically. Does anyone know?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:

it depends on your OS.
Your bone? Confused

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Operating system, but you know. Wink

Os also means oral. I use it in Words with Friends, and I always thought it was the oral meaning. Maybe not though.