Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Okay OED, time to make a change!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Okay OED, time to make a change! Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Now the word "epicaricacy" is being seen all over the internet. And - such an appropriate way to use it! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's hope the OED gives you credit! Big Grin

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Love the twitter words at this link. Twitterati! Tweeple!
I’m not a twerson myself [though I’ve been called a twerp].

“Finally he posted something positive.” Ouch!

BTW this is the first article I've seen using "epicaricacy." Bet it's got readers running for the dictionary. "Schadenfreude" OTOH is showing up everywhere.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't substitute "epicaricity" for "Edelweiss" in the song, but you can "Schadenfreude." Roll Eyes

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have a Google alert set for the word "epicaricacy" and I've gotten more as related to Donald getting COVID-19.

I think it is so funny how the Trumpsters are indignant with people kidding about his COVID and talking about his prognosis, etc. Really? They are the ones who complain about the "liberals" being politically correct. They thought it was funny when he made fun of that disabled reporter or said that McCain wasn't a hero because heroes don't get caught. Etc. They can dish it out, but they can't take it.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Edelweiss, in German, has three syllables, but Schadenfreude has four, and that other word has six. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, many mispronounce the other word without saying the "e" on the end. Of course, I suppose that doesn't matter to descriptivists.

However, I say "epicaricacy" with 6 syllables, not 5. Who knows, though. We don't hear it much (just when I say it. Wink), and it isn't in dictionaries.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Sorry about that, I miscounted. The off-by-one error in the wild. I have fixed it. Thanks.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
They likely say it with 5 syllables in the UK - you know how they miss syllables, like saying "med-cine" instead of med-i-cine.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
They likely say it with 5 syllables in the UK - you know how they miss syllables, like saying "med-cine" instead of med-i-cine.

No, 6.
And I say Medicine with three syllables. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear you, Bob. I have never heard anyone with an English/Scottish/Canadian accent pronounce the "i" in "medicine" (not sure about Australian). Remember, our CEO is from Scotland. I heard "med-cine" all the time.

Remember when you said you pronounce "fire" with one syllable, and then I asked when I saw you?