Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    A word-related bit of beer news
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A word-related bit of beer news Login/Join

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted
Trust me, this turns out to be word-related. Can something simultaneous be "beer" and yet not be "beer?"
quote:
A small eastern German [brewing] company is now adding a new taste: anti-aging beer. "The beer will be promoted as a healthy and nutritious food product, which supports the general well-being, if consumed in moderation," Stefan Fritsche, the son of the brewery's owner, told NBC News.

Yet, the company -- which has defied Germany's strict beer law in the past -- might not be allowed to call its traditionally brewed product "beer." According to the nation's 1516 brewing law, beer brewed in Germany can only contain barley, hops, yeast and water. According to the company, the new beer is brewed with salt water and enriched with algae, which contains vitamins and minerals.

But, Klosterbräu is braced for any challenges.

About nine years ago, the Fritsche family business took its first, small steps toward developing a healthy formula by brewing a dark beer called "Black Abbott." A small amount of sugar was added. The local Brandenburg state agricultural ministry, citing German brewing law, forbade use of the word "beer" in the product logo.

The Fritsche company was irate, and told the state finance ministry that it would refuse to pay the mandatory "beer tax" if its brew was not designated as beer by the agriculture ministry. The argument was rejected by the tax ministers.

In other words, the govenment said that product was not "beer" (for marketing) but was "beer" (for taxing).

But the company had the last laugh: "The subsequent dispute, still ongoing, has been dubbed 'The Brandenburg Beer War.' And for the company, the media attention was a boon as 'Black Abbott' became its best-selling product. 'The story immediately hit the local press and was a real sales boost for us,' Stefan Fritsche said."

Here's the full story.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
In fact this law, the Reinheitsgebot, is Bavarian, not German.

A similar law exists in the Isle of Man.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
Before I ask, let me assure you that this is both word related and not a joke. Not entirely, anyway, but is the Isle of Man now a popular resort area for gay men? I recall reading somewhere that this came about from the fact that "Isle of Man" is a homonym for "I love man."

Or maybe it's something in the beer...

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C J Strolin:
Before I ask, let me assure you that this is both word related and not a joke. Not entirely, anyway, but is the Isle of Man now a popular resort area for gay men? I recall reading somewhere that this came about from the fact that "Isle of Man" is a homonym for "I love man."

...or perhaps not...

Interesting thought though. I have friends who live there and I think they'd be very surprised to find out that it was popular gay resort.
Sounds sort of like...well an urban myth, to me.

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The name of the Isle of Man is not from the same derivation as the word of the male adult human and I have certainly seen no evidence of any more male homosexuality there than anywhere else.

It is true, of course, that there is massive influx of men wearing leather suits in June and September but that's because they are the months during which the TT and MGP motorcycle races are held. They are held on the Island since racing on public roads is illegal in the UK and the Isle of Man, while being part of the British Isles, is not part of the UK.

It has its own parliament and legislature - which claims to be the oldest in the world.

And the beer's good, too!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
There was a young lady of station,
"I love man" was her sole exclamation;
But when men cried, "You flatter,"
She replied, "Oh! no matter,
Isle of Man is the true explanation."

(Lewis Carroll, 1869, to Miss Vera Beringer)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
"Isle of Man" is a
homonym for "I love man."

Stretching your logic (?) just a bit further, anyone who is philanthropic is homoxesual.
(Philos = love, + anthorpos = man)

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stretching your logic (?) just a bit further,

No logic was involved, it was just something I had heard or read once years ago.

I would seem to make sense though, wouldn't it? If I were gay, I might be attracted to the Isle of Man simply because of the way it sounded in the same way that, as a heterosexual, I have always wanted to visit Intercourse, Pennsylvania.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After visiting Intercourse, PA, then you could travel south and visit Cumming, GA...

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
you could travel south and visit Cumming, GA...

But if unfulfilled, you could visit Wanker's Corners, Oregon Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
You will doubtless make (im)proper use of these directions for reaching Climax in the US states of Colorado (it's near Fairplay), Georgia, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri (Climax Springs), New York, North Carolina, and Ohio. For a short extra drive you can reach Climax in Saskatchewan, Canada.

Pennsylvania appears to have a Climax here and a second Climax here, giving you a choice of position.