Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    another apostrophe catastrophe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

another apostrophe catastrophe Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was reading a research manuscript and came across this sentence:

"The nursing program has integrated simulation throughout it's' curriculum as a vital part to increase the student's ability to provide safe, adequate, appropriate care."

Two apostrophes in "it's'", just to cover all bases. Smile

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and if you read it as meaning that all students be able to provide quality care, not just one, then it should be "students'." Though I suppose a case can be made for the singular.

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I infer a plural in the case of "student's."

Not long ago I worked with someone who wrote my family name, "Sander's." Confused

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh? Does that make you related to Winnie-the-Pooh? (As in

-- Winnie-the-Pooh lived in a forest all by himself under the name of Sanders.
-- ("What does 'under the name' mean?" asked Christopher Robin.
-- "It means he had the name over the door in gold letters, and lived under it."

Posts: 6267 | Location: Worcester, MA, USReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it implies that I was conceived in a hardware store. That explains my abrasiveness.

BTW, no relation to Bernie. His forebears took the name upon arriving in the USA. Here's a fun Quora article on it: https://www.quora.com/Did-Bern...to-the-United-States

I have no idea how Winnie the Pooh came to live under his assumed name. I guess it sounds better than living under Pooh. Big Grin

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
If it were "students'," would it be "abilities" then?

posted Hide Post
Seems right to me.

Yesterday I had a cataract operation. The instructions for the post-operation eyedrops state that I'm to use them "4x's a day." "Four timeses a day???" I hope his surgical acumen is superior to his grammatical skill. Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So, did you think it should be 4Xs a day? I am surprised they didn't spell out the times, to be honest. I could see patients with a less knowledge of health care than you having no idea what that means.

However, sometimes I make mistakes and use medical abbreviations and jargon in papers.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
with a less knowledge

Isn't the "a" unnecessary?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Lesser knowledge," I assume.

I think it should be "4X." "X" has a long history of meaning, "times." It's nothing like as ambiguous as "#," which has traditionally meant "number" or "pound," but which has recently (2014, according to one source)taken on another meaning. Because of this ambiguity, it seems inappropriate as a symbol in the slogan, "# me too." The intent is surely NOT "pound me too!" "Number me too" does, however, make sense, as in "Count me in."

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
"X" has a long history of meaning, "times."

That's my favorite newspaper -- the New York X.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The "a" before "less" was a typo. Sorry about that. I still think X could lead to errors.

posted Hide Post
Not an apostrophe but a comma story - IF someone can get past the paywall: https://www.reuters.com/articl...claims-idUSL2N1PZ20S

posted Hide Post

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now, that gets complicated. Language Log is always so good at breaking it all down.