Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palin's prose Login/Join

posted
I'm a day late with this thanks to another internet failure, but it's stil worth a read: http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINIO...ay/index.html?hpt=C1

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for Friday! We'll have to celebrate.
quote:
Their website, for example, knocks down two old myths: that you can't end a sentence in a preposition and that you mustn't split an infinitive. Fine English writers have been doing both for centuries.
Funny how so few editors know this. The ending sentences with a preposition has really stuck with many of them. That one hasn't ever made any sense to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The ending sentences with a preposition has really stuck with many of them. That one hasn't ever made any sense to me.

And, we know when and by whom this "rule" was invented. Dryden decided in the middle of his life that prepositions could not come at the end of a sentence. He revised his works to apply this rule retroactively. Even Robert Lowth poked gentle fun at Dryden's bugbear. Dryden really does not justify his "rule".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dryden really does not justify his "rule".
I was wondering about that. Some of the rules make a little sense to me ("who" and "whom," for example), even though I wouldn't kill someone's work for it. However, a few don't. One is the ending the sentence with a preposition (even though my colleague will kill a publication for it); another is "which" and "that." Sometimes "that" just seems better (or vice versa), even though "which" is required, according to Word.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So do we now know whom the bell tolls for?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've always wondered: do bells have to pay tolls?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post