Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freyed Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am sure that those of you in the UK haven't had to withstand the brouhaha that we have over Frey's, "A Million Little Pieces." The author had sold the book as his autobiography, but thesmokinggun.com found it was riddled with lies. Oy vey...this was nearly as bad as Jennifer Aniston's and Brad Pitt's splitting up! I mean, we Americans do have our priorities!

Anyway, today I finally read a halfway sane article on it in the Tribune, entitled, "Sorry Oprah. It's Still a Good Book!" The author, Julia Keller, wondered if now people like Frank McCourt with "Angela's Ashes" will be Freyed? Hmmm, I wonder if that word with stick! She also wondered if thesmokinggun.com has a Dublin branch. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously, the guy was on all sorts of drugs. When you write a book from memory about being on drugs, what is the chance that you will get the facts straight?

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Next thing you know, they'll be coming after "The Autobiography of Malcolm X", for having a misleading title.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I must say that I hadn't heard of this. I don't know if it's because the furore hasn't crossed the pond, or or I somehow missed it. I took a look at TSG's article. Was this James Frey well-known in the USA before the book was published, or did he become a celebrity on the back of his book? (The report runs to six pages, so I may have missed that part.)

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Apparently Frey's book had been fairly popular and had been out for 3 years. I am not sure because I hadn't read it. He wasn't well-known, though, before the book. What really seemed to bring him fame was that Oprah Winfrey (do you know her?) used his book as her "Book of the Month." Oprah is very famous over here, and that meant that his book began selling quite well. That's when the blogs went to work, and poor Oprah, who loves her image, had to apologize to the public for recommending a book of lies. She had Frey on her program, I hear, and literally fried him! Wink

Mind you, this all took up pages and pages in our newspapers, and it was headline news. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
She had Frey on her program, I hear, and literally fried him!
That sounds like a cruel and unusual punishment! Red Face I know shows like Jerry Springer can get violent, but that's a bit much!

I think Oprah may be repeated over here, but I've never seen the show. Her name is fairly familiar, though.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post