Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    scripts of south Asia
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

scripts of south Asia Login/Join

posted
This map is on Language Log today. It shows south Asia with all the countries and states labeled with the local script. I count 13 scripts.

All of the scripts, except Arabic and Chinese, are descended from Brahmi. There are many more Brahmi-derived scripts in southeast Asia, such as Thai, Khmer, and Javanese. And although this map shows all the scripts of south Asia in current use (I think), there are many others that are seldom used - for instance Tulu, Grantha and many others.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Looks like the name for China is in the traditional Chinese writing system.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As opposed to the simplified system, you mean?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the character for guó at the end of the phrase 中华人民共和国 (zhōnghuá rénmín gònghéguó, People's Republic of China), for example.

[Fixed typo.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have often wished English had that beautiful script. Then I have wondered if their script looks, to Asians, like our letters look to us (mundane); and yet do our letters look beautiful to them? I doubt it, but I have wondered. Perhaps I will ask my Chinese friend, though I suspect she has known English for too long now.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make that 14. I just learned that India has yet another script: Manipuri, apparently the script for the official language of the state of Manipur, the green state on the far right. It's not one of the 9 scripts on the currency.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I may have the pleasure of going to Japan for work. It seems overwhelming to me to try to learn a language with a different alphabet. Is it that bad?

posted Hide Post
Japanese has 46 hiragana and 46 katakana - the katakana might help you sound out the odd word borrowed from English. But there's also the 2000 kanji - Chinese characters. It's pretty much impossible to read anything if you don't know them.

On the other hand, the pronunciation is quite simple!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
What about JavaScript? Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
JavaScript

The number of reserved words in JavaScript is rather less than the number of kanji in Japanese.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
Javanese script is used in Java.

Or did you mean something else Smile

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Javanese script

Pretty. Another Brahmi-derived script.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
But there's also the 2000 kanji - Chinese characters. It's pretty much impossible to read anything if you don't know them.

Since this is happening in the end of May, I'd better get crackin'! Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
It couldn't hurt to learn some of the spoken language, since many people do not speak English, even in the big cities.

posted Hide Post
What does a Chinese keyboard look like?

posted Hide Post
On a computer, one can type the words phonetically using Pinyin or another romanization method, so you can use a keyboard with around the same number of keys as a western keyboard.

But there are other methods. I remember seeing, in the movie You Only Live Twice, a brief shot of a Japanese typewriter with a whole lot of keys.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Most people these days type Japanese and Chinese with a standard computer keyboard. As gooofy says, the typing is usually based on some kind of romanization scheme, i.e., representing characters by how they are pronounced and written in the Latin alphabet. Most modern operating systems (at least Windows and MacOS) come with the ability to add different keyboard layouts. (If somebody is interesting, send me a PM.) I have seen some schemes that involved counting and categorizing strokes, but I am not relaly familiar with them. The only manual character typewriters had many, many keys, and aren't really used anymore.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Japan, unfortunately, is out of the picture for me now. Too bad! I was looking forward to studying the language. I think the best way to learn a language is by being in the country and having to communicate.

posted Hide Post
Too bad you're not going to Japan, Kalleh. I went in September and had a great time.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, those are beautiful pictures.

Yes, I am crushed. My consolation prize, however, may be Vienna.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Vienna

Ach Wien Du Stadt meiner Trãume. Sachertorte, Kaffe mit Schlag, Joesph Cotton and Orson Welles on the Riesenrad in The Third Man, und Stephansdom.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I love sacher torte. Maybe it won't be a consolation prize after all. Wink