Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    An interesting translation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An interesting translation Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I received a story on Facebook where two young women were killed in Ecuador. They were traveling up the coast of South America, but their trip ended in tragedy in Ecuador when they were killed. Then, people and the media began to blame them for being alone and apparently taking a place to stay that was offered by two strange men.

In response to this blame, Guadalupe Acosta, from Paraguay, wrote a letter on Facebook from the perspective of the two women and condemning those who blamed them for their deaths. The letter was written in Spanish and then was translated here. Spanish to English should be easy, right? Read the translation. Surely you know the essence of what was written, but it is far from perfect.

A word here struck me as well: propitiatory victim. One doesn't see that word very often. It is one of those words that connotes a lot.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It makes one realize how few cultures treat women as people.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, yes, there was that, too. I didn't want to dwell on that since this is a word forum, but the rants against those two young women were just crazy. It makes me feel old to say this, but sometimes I wonder what this world is coming to...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I wonder what this world is coming to...

An end. And probably quite soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm - China must be getting to you. Wink