Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Hey, you guys ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey, you guys ... Login/Join

posted
"Yes, 'you guys' is on its way to being proper speech."

This is a quote from an article titled The 'You-Guysing' of America Is Just the Natural Evolution of Language by Delia M. Rios of the Newhouse News Service.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Tinman. I see that it even has crossed the pond, to some extent.

I don't use it, but I have often called my students "guys." Remember, I teach nursing students, and they are generally about 92% female. Every so often I have gotten a little flack from them because they consider "guys" to be male....I don't.

BTW, didn't we have a thread at one time about "guys?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
it even has crossed the pond, to some extent.
Because Blair uses it? He is a special case, since he is so far up a certain portion of Bush's anatomy he thinks he's a suppository.

We do have a similar dialect equivalent of "y'all" in "youse". It is not used in written English, but several areas use it in speech, particularly Ireland and those places with large numbers of Irish immigrants, such as Liverpool.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WinterBranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
it even has crossed the pond, to some extent.
Because Blair uses it? He is a special case, since he is so far up a certain portion of Bush's anatomy he thinks he's a suppository.

Funny. I unfortunately now think of Blair as, in my father's words, "Bush's SuckBuddy".

Different words, but the same intent, I suspect.

And all ya'll should just youse (use) the all inclusive 'ya'll'.

(I don't think I attributed correctly, but lawd, haven't been much since everything changed.)

Posts: 222 | Location: TexasReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Being that this thread was called "Hey You Guys" I thought it would have something to do with "The Electric Company". I really loved that show as a kid.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, WB, it is funny...and usually arnie isn't so....shall we say, literal? Wink

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted Hide Post
I had a lot more respect for Blair back when he was trying to fashion himself as "Clinton Junior." His "George Dubya Ditto" routine isn't nearly as appealing.

And, yes, we've said before that this is not a political website (not that this doesn't stop us from occasionally mounting a soapbox) but may I mention that I, for one, am already tired to distraction of the orgy of mourning this country is undergoing for, in my opinion, one of our best-loved and, at the same time, least competent presidents, "The Great Communicator" (UGH!!) Ronald Reagan. Assuming that quotations fall more into the realm of The English Language, allow me to recall Margaret Thatcher's assessment: "Poor Ronnie. He doesn't have anything between his ears."

And this from a staunch ally!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You know that I am politically liberal. Surely I didn't agree with Reagan's politics, generally. Yet, I must disagree with you, CJ. I do think he was a great communicator. I will never forget one of his first campaign speeches before being elected the first time. If you recall, the economy was terrible. In his speech he pulled out a bunch of coins and said this used to buy a whatever. However, today it takes this much. He heaped on many more coins, really making his point. Now, I know, you'll say his "speech writer wrote that." Maybe. But, he had to okay it. You don't see candidates doing anything out of the ordinary these days in their boring, and oftentimes poorly constructed, speeches.

Besides, he helped to coin a very important economic phrase, which may even be in the OED by now: Voodoo Economics Wink