Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool Video Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
Here is a very cool video from the New Zealand Book Council. Possibly our Kiwi friends have already seen it!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
I got this on email a couple of weeks ago - it's very cool. I meant to post it here but I forgot Roll Eyes Could you understand the accent?

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
No, not entirely. I'm sure if I listen to it a few more times, I'll get all, or most of, the words. When I visit NZ, I find it takes me a little bit to tune my brain to the accent.

I kept looking for the disclaimer saying, "No books were mutilated in the making of this video," but it must have been well hidden!

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
A very good and evocative video. I am today packing a selection of books to take on my cruise; trains, 'planes and ships are where I do most of my reading (away from the TV, of course).

I had no trouble understanding the accent - although I do find it hard to distinguish between New Zealand and Australian accents.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Loved this video. The one feature in the accent which kept throwing me off was the broad, flat short-a vowel.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could you understand the accent?
Not that well, but I am a terrible accent decipherer...or whatever you call it. Just ask my kids. If I have a waiter or a clerk with a thick accent, I keep asking over and over, "I'm sorry; what did you say?" Oh that embarrasses my kids!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Alexander23>
posted
[Deleted.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<jerry23>
posted
[Deleted.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
More Spam, I fear. Obviously the Spambots have now become so clever that they can seek special key words (such as "cool" in case of Alexander23's response and "movie" in the case of jerry 23's) and post an automatic message that has some relevance.

Of course, in most cases the response will not provoke interest in its readers - but as the whole excercise costs very little and reaches millions, even a .01% success rate is worthwhile.

Since these Spambots rarely have email addresses and those that do have "no reply" addresses, the simple way to defeat them is to request a valid email address from registrants and to allow them to register only if a challenge sent to that address gets a proper reponse. It's a nuisance but sadly it's becoming a more and more necessary one.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post