Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Help...or Assist?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help...or Assist? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Every time I write a paper, document, or whatever, and use the word "help," editors change it to "assist." I can understand not using too many "helps," but once in awhile isn't a "help" okay? I sometimes "help" my students to learn procedures, but instead I must "assist" them.

In this case, however, it sounds like your editors suffer from the common delusion that Romance words have more gravitas. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Aid ... assist ... facilitate ...

You can use them as well as "help". There's nothing intrinsically wrong with "help" but with most writing if you've already used a word in an earlier sentence it is often a good idea to substitute a synonym. Even that can get out of hand and the writing can get too florid.

In this case, however, it sounds like your editors suffer from the common delusion that longer Romance words have more gravitas. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
In this case, however, it sounds like your editors suffer from the common delusion that longer Romance words have more gravitas.

As I have suggested previously, this seems to be an occupational hazard for many in academe.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Right, Arnie, I surely can understand not using "help" in 2 successive sentences. But I never seem to be able to use it, unless I talk about "getting help" in an emergency, or something.

I rather like the verb form of "help." I guess it's just not considered sophisticated enough.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I rather like the verb form of "help." I guess it's just not considered sophisticated enough.

I would doubt the sophistication of anyone who takes that attitude.

Words can be appropriate or inappropriate; correctly used or incorrectly used; fresh or clichéd. Indeed there are many ways in words can be described - but I'd not consider sophistication as one of any word's characteristics - except in the sense that people with more affectation than sense like to use a complex or unusual word, rather than a simple one, just to show off.

Have you ever asked the question of your editor, "What's wrong with the verb 'to help'?".

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
There is obviously an urgent need for someone to write a Letter To The Editor requesting assistance .... or ..... if you will ... help !!

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do question my editor...probably too much. But I always get a bunch of gobbledygook, such as "it sounds better," or whatever. I know there are subtle differences, that we have discussed here, between "use" and "utilize." Are there also differences between "I will help you" and "I will assist you"?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I think you should be more assertive, Kalleh. Insist a little more on fighting for your words if you can't see a logical reason for a change.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I used to have a supervisor who read through every evaluation I wrote. She was such a micromanager that she would go through and change words much like this (assist instead of help) and it often seemed like she was just doing it because she could. What a collosal waste of time! Could it be that your editors are just maintaining their control?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I do question my editor...probably too much. But I always get a bunch of gobbledygook, such as "it sounds better," or whatever.

Although it won't make you popular, questionning will give you control. The person asking the question is ALWAYS the person in control.

So, you ask, "Why have you changed my verb?" and your editors responds, "Because it sounds better". So you simply ask another question - something like, "Why do you consider it sounds better?" And she answers, "Because it's more sophisticated". So you respond, "But this is a report, not a meal - why does it need to be 'sophisticated'?"

And so on.

As I said, you won't be popular but you will get your own way - if that's what you want.

Edited to correct typos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are right. I need to be more assertive. I've seen that on OEDILF, too. Once in awhile I will take a workshopper's suggestion when I really don't think it's right. Often it will come back to bite me; that is, another workshopper will come in and say, "This isn't quite right..." and eventually it gets changed back to my original, thus wasting lots of time. Roll Eyes