Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  The Written Word    Bierma's list of word books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bierma's list of word books Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Nathan Bierma has posted his list of the 10 best books for linguists, word lovers. I couldn't find it online yet, but I will post the whole article (which briefly describes the books) as soon as I can find it.

10. "Proust's English" - by Daniel Karlin

9. "Analysing Sociolinguistic Variation" - by Sali Tagliamonte

8. "Standard Negation" - by Matti Miestamo

7. "British or American English? A Handbook of Word and Grammar Patterns" - by John Algeo

6. "The Quote Verifier: Who Said What, Where, and When" - by Ralph Keyes

5. "The Official Dictionary of Unofficial English: A Crunk Omnibus for Thrillionaires and Bampots for the Ecozoic Age" - by Grant Barrett

4. "Far from the Madding Gerund and Other Dispatches From Language Log" - by Mark Liberman and Geoffrey Pullum

3. "Totally Weird and Wonderful Words" - by Erin McKean

2. "Words, Words, Words" - by David Crystal

1. "Language Variation and Change in the American Midland: A New Look at 'Heartland' English" - edited by Thomas Murray and Beth Lee Simon

He also looks into language books coming out in 2007, and this one sounded interesting to me: "The Unword Dictionary: 1,000 Words for Things You Didn't Know Had Words!" - by Steve Kiehl

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Here's the link to the article Kalleh cites.

What, in #6, is "A Crunk Omnibus" and a "bampot"?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post